2004 upper radiator hose

Daily Driver

Daily Driver

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Issue: replacement top radiator hose will not fit.
Description: my local repair shop diagnosed leaking radiator and themostate housing, I approved work to be performed. I had previously purchased gates upper and lower radiator hoses, and ask the mechanic to install upper and lower hoses during repair.

The mechanic called to inform me during repair the lower radiator hose fit well, but the upper hose did not. The mechanic also stated that he ordered one from NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, and Advance to compare. They were all the same as my Gates upper hose I had ordered previously. The mechanic also attempted to order from Ford but no longer available.

My brother has a 2003 that he replaced the top radiator hose last year with no issues, he got the hose from Auto Zone.
Fortunately for me my existing top radiator hose was reused and very serviceable. But thoughts of a hose breakdown away from home has me concerned.

The problem seems to be the diameter of hose, from what I gathered the hose could be reversed and it would fit. But the center section hose will be positioned incorrectly. Can anyone make sense of what is going on.
The old upper radiator hose fits fine. So its not the new radiator outlet or themostat housing outlet. The mechanic is well seasoned and has served the community for many years.
Any suggestion or thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm thinking about maybe ordering another one and see if it comes in wrong size also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back