2003 - Alpine radio turns on after car is off

Chimuel
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, I have installed an Alpine ILX-W650, microbypass, 12v/5v adapter, SWC module, and backup camera using Crutchfield's ReadyHarness service. Everything works as expected when the car is on but I have an issue where the radio display will turn on randomly after the car has been turned off (locked/unlocked and no key). The Alpine logo displays then it goes to another screen where the image displayed is the backup camera view with the cones but no video from the camera itself. None of the touch buttons on the face of the radio are responsive and when I press any of the steering wheel controls, the radio will go dark but eventually goes back to displaying the cones.

Anyone run into this before? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi all, I have installed an Alpine ILX-W650, microbypass, 12v/5v adapter, SWC module, and backup camera using Crutchfield's ReadyHarness service. Everything works as expected when the car is on but I have an issue where the radio display will turn on randomly after the car has been turned off (locked/unlocked and no key). The Alpine logo displays then it goes to another screen where the image displayed is the backup camera view with the cones but no video from the camera itself. None of the touch buttons on the face of the radio are responsive and when I press any of the steering wheel controls, the radio will go dark but eventually goes back to displaying the cones.

Anyone run into this before? Thanks
Did you buy everything from Crutchfield? If so, they have excellent support, contact them for a resolution.

Yup, everything from Crutchfield. I did think about reaching out, I did the install over Christmas.

I meant to update my post -- the following day I took the car out for a quick drive and the issue no longer happened after parking. Will have to ask the owner (relative) to continue to monitor this and make sure it doesn't drain the battery!

Coming in with an update. The car battery was drained after some time. Battery was old so it was replaced but the issue of the backup camera guides appeared again.

The fix was to tie the reverse trigger wire relay to the always hot 12V instead of the accessory / switched 12V. I was hoping not to run the relay this way due to concerns for parasitic drain but the drain of the display turning on randomly is a worse scenario.

Back