2002 Tip for Separating Electrical Plug from Power Steering Pressure Switch

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I encountered the dreaded pressure switch leak. Left Bird parked for nearly a year and finally getting around to fixing this. Using this forum and helpful threads as a guide I was able to work my hand down to the pressure switch from the top of the engine. My issue was separating the electrical plug from the switch itself. I had no room to maneuver my hand around to unplug it.

After about an hour of trying to no avail, I grabbed a pair of 11" needle nose plyers, reached down to the electrical plug and compressed the longer sides while at the same time pushing the pliers away from the pressure switch. The plug immediately released and separated from the switch. Life is good again and I can move on to uninstalling the pressure switch. Sharing this tip hoping it helps someone in the future not waste an hour of time like I did.

See pic below of how I approached the electrical plug from above and my awesome Harbor Freight 11" needle nose pliers that bailed me out.
thumbnail_IMG_3235.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3236.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I encountered the dreaded pressure switch leak. Left Bird parked for nearly a year and finally getting around to fixing this. Using this forum and helpful threads as a guide I was able to work my hand down to the pressure switch from the top of the engine. My issue was separating the electrical plug from the switch itself. I had no room to maneuver my hand around to unplug it.

After about an hour of trying to no avail, I grabbed a pair of 11" needle nose plyers, reached down to the electrical plug and compressed the longer sides while at the same time pushing the pliers away from the pressure switch. The plug immediately released and separated from the switch. Life is good again and I can move on to uninstalling the pressure switch. Sharing this tip hoping it helps someone in the future not waste an hour of time like I did.

See pic below of how I approached the electrical plug from above and my awesome Harbor Freight 11" needle nose pliers that bailed me out.
Adding another tip... using the same 11" needle nose plyers I held the replacement pressure switch in place where it threads into the power steering pump from underneath the car reaching up by the a-arms. I had a friend work his hand in from the top and twist the sensor to start threading it into the pump. This made is much easier to install.

Has anyone here replaced the pressure switch on their power steering pump. The switch on my high mileage T Bird apparently been leaking some but
recently began leaking quite a bit. It is really in a tight spot like most items under the hood, I hope I can get a socket wrench up in there, but hoping
someone here has done this before and can give some advice. If no one has done this before, I will let you know how it goes.

Per my post above yours, I just replaced mine last month. I was having a hard time getting the socket on the sensor myself, so I had a neighbor help me. I guided the socked onto the sensor from below (wheel well after tire was removed) while my neighbor manipulated the socket from above (engine bay). This made it easy to get the socket on the sensor. We did the reverse to install the new sensor. I also purchased a manual fluid transfer pump from O'Reilly's to flush out the old power steering fluid. There was not much air to bleed out of the power steering system upon startup.

Happy to report I removed the bad switch, and installed the new pressure switch and everything works great. I purchased a Quick Jack lift system
which works very well. I was also able to remove the old switch with socket set and swivel adaptor. Took a while to get the new switch in, but
in the end all went well. Below are some photos.quick jack.jpgpower steering switch.jpgsocket and switch.jpg

Nice job! It's one of those projects that is very satisfyingly once done. I like the lift kit and probably helps save your back some pain.

Back