2002 rear bumper cover removal.

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
First post here although I have been on boards before I currently have a 1947 caddy series 60 4 door and a 1952 Desoto fire dome 2 door hardtop. Been working on a 2002 with low mileage but was ridden hard and put away wet.Seems the rear bumper was hit at some point and clips on both sides broke. The clips I am referring to are between the fender and bumper cover on both sides of the car, where the fender and bumper cover run parallel to the ground.
Does anyone know how these clips attach and release ? And second went to ford dealership they could not locate the clip part number does anyone a parts manual that shows these black clips?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First post here although I have been on boards before I currently have a 1947 caddy series 60 4 door and a 1952 Desoto fire dome 2 door hardtop. Been working on a 2002 with low mileage but was ridden hard and put away wet.Seems the rear bumper was hit at some point and clips on both sides broke. The clips I am referring to are between the fender and bumper cover on both sides of the car, where the fender and bumper cover run parallel to the ground.
Does anyone know how these clips attach and release ? And second went to ford dealership they could not locate the clip part number does anyone a parts manual that shows these black clips?Ford 3W6Z-17A750-AA Bracket - Bumper Mounting

Driver side Ford 3W6Z-17A751-AA Bracket - Bumper Mounting.

Passenger side Ford 3W6Z-17A750-AA Bracket - Bumper Mounting

Ford 3W6Z-17A750-AA Bracket - Bumper Mounting

Ford 3W6Z-17A751-AA Bracket - Bumper Mounting

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how these clips attach and release ? And second went to ford dealership they could not locate the clip part number does anyone a parts manual that shows these black clips?
I had noticed that rear bumper cover on my 2004 Thunderbird was loose and sticking out where the bumper cover contacts the quarter panel near the tail light. Looking at the different Retro Birds in my Thunderbird club, I noticed that 9 out of 10 of them have the same issue.

Right Before 1.jpg

This easy repair that can be done in less than an hour, and when completed, the bumper cover will be tight and back in line with the quarter panel once again.

Right After 2.jpg

Once the tail lights are removed you will see the area where bumper cover is loose at the quarter panel. Since there is no clip in this area I, used a #1907, 5/16” machine screw clip that I modified so it would fit and hold the bumper cover tight.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Clip 1.jpg

Clip.jpg

Right Repair 2.jpg

Thanks to both of you, I had already found the U nut fix for the upper rear corner but thanks Doug.
I was thinking there were a couple of small clips, impossible to look in there. Time for a parts manual

Thanks again for the help, problem was the same on both sides. A dead give away was in the first picture you see black plastic between the bumper cover top lip and the fender. Third picture of the top lip of of the bumper cover the groove is where the bumper support has a clip to come up through the groove. Someone had the bumper cover off a made the error by not slipping it into each support and clip one at a time starting at the tail light and going forward. If you look at the slot in the 3rd picture , the slot is pushed down the result of forcing it below the support.
that raps this project, my hope is that the whole car wasn’t worked on by the same person. Ps the unut modification is great

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Back