2002 Convertible top went up on it's own and top motor will not stop running!

X
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Folks. I have a 2002 . The convertible top went up for no rhyme or reason, completely on its own, Car was running in park with top down., It ripped the boot off and forced its way up!
Hydrauylic pump remains running with top up. The top switch will only stop motor from running if you hold down on the retract or down part of the switch. It will only shut off if you put the car in gear. Top will not go down .it just remain running trying to close the top as the top is already up now. If you restart the car, hydraulic motor stays on still trying to close the top .
Anyone heard of this before ? Any idea what is wrong with the car and how to fix this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Folks. I have a 2002 . The convertible top went up for no rhyme or reason, completely on its own, Car was running in park with top down., It ripped the boot off and forced its way up!
Hydrauylic pump remains running with top up. The top switch will only stop motor from running if you hold down on the retract or down part of the switch. It will only shut off if you put the car in gear. Top will not go down .it just remain running trying to close the top as the top is already up now. If you restart the car, hydraulic motor stays on still trying to close the top .
Anyone heard of this before ? Any idea what is wrong with the car and how to fix this?
I would find the relay and and smack it or replace it first
Hi, Thanks for the reply . Can I get a relay at the local auto parts store?

Sometimes there all the same so find the relays and swap it with a another one

Sometimes there all the same so find the relays and swap it with a another one
Hello and thanks for yhe input, so I swapped a little 5 amp fuse, looking thing in the trunk( for the conv top )and the top went down beautifully… But it didn’t stay down and went right back up (on its own)and continue to run with the top all the way up until I had to shut off the car and open the door.., unfortunately back to the same problem. Are there any wizards out there that have any clue to this car now called Christine.

Thank you again for your support

You need to find the relay that that fuse that controls the relay and unplug that relay, I don’t have my manual with me so I can’t find it for you, look in the owners manual and find the power top relay, once found swap it with another relay that looks the same, and then you can move on, sorry guy I’m doing my best to help you out

The convertible top raise and lower relays are located in the auxiliary relay box 1, located in the passenger compartment behind the seat next to the Rear Electronic Module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Relay Box 1.jpg

Auxillary Relay Box.png

REM and Aux Relay Box.jpg

You need to find the relay that that fuse that controls the relay and unplug that relay, I don’t have my manual with me so I can’t find it for you, look in the owners manual and find the power top relay, once found swap it with another relay that looks the same, and then you can move on, sorry guy I’m doing my best to help you out
Just for shoot and giggles disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if the REM module has a brain fart

How do you get to the aux relay box 1? How do you remove the rear curved panel behind the seats?
Thanks

To gain access to auxiliary relay box 1, you have to raise the convertible top and detach the protective top cover pushpins.

Untitled.jpg

Gently pull the two corners of the protective cover away from the top brace until the two fasteners on each side are disengaged and position the cover aside.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

To gain access to auxiliary relay box 1, you have to raise the convertible top and detach the protective top cover pushpins.

View attachment 30262

Gently pull the two corners of the protective cover away from the top brace until the two fasteners on each side are disengaged and position the cover aside.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Thanks Doug will that just move the cloth out of the way or will I be able to remove the curved hard panels too?

That will move the protective cloth cover out of the way so you will be able to access the auxiliary relay box 1, the Rear Electronic Module, the remote keyless module and all of the convertible top hydraulics. Why do you want to remove the curved hard panels?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I thought I would need to top of my roof motor. If not excellent!
Thanks for the advice!

What problems are you having with the convertible top that would make you think that you need to top off the hydraulic fluid? The convertible top hydraulics are a sealed system. If the fluid is low that would mean that there is a leak at one of the hydraulic rams or the pump itself.

doug7740
1955Thunderbird Blue

Convertible Top Hydraulic System.jpg

IMG-7192.jpg

IMG-7203.jpg

Back