1997 Ford Thunderbird Lx 4.6 Backfiring and Hesitating

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 97 Thunderbird 4.6 with 131k . The car runs great whenever I just cruise, it gets up to speed no problem, nor hesitation. But any time I floor it, it starts backfiring and hesitates to accelerate. The car has no codes, and I just recently replaced the MAF sensor which I thought was the problem, and it made no difference. Anyone have any idea what could cause it to slug and backfire like it does?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 97 Thunderbird 4.6 with 131k . The car runs great whenever I just cruise, it gets up to speed no problem, nor hesitation. But any time I floor it, it starts backfiring and hesitates to accelerate. The car has no codes, and I just recently replaced the MAF sensor which I thought was the problem, and it made no difference. Anyone have any idea what could cause it to slug and backfire like it does?
coil
check the coils

I would say that you have a vacuum leak. Possibly a valve on your canister behind your right headlight. I had a heck of a time with mine, then changed it out for a canister from a 96. Totally different line setup, mine is doing great now!!!???

Air/fuel is igniting in the intake for some reason. The MAF sensor replacement is the first place I would have gone as well. I think you have a lean condition which could be due to a clogged fuel filter or air filter or possibly a fuel pressure issue or an air leak.

I have a '95 Lincoln with the 4.6 engine and recently the IAC (intake air control) valve malfunctioned and caused a lean condition and runability issues. This is easy to eliminate as a potential cause, just whack the side of the IAC with a hammer or wrench to unstick the internal valve. If that resolves your issue, you may get lucky and it won't occur again but if it does, the IAC should be replaced.

Try looking under the hood,dark night, engine running. Sounds lik bad spark plug wires. Look for arching on wires.

Back