1969 window problem

O

Oldfordcrap

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi my first post, I have a 1969 2dr landau 429 all stock pass Side window was having problems going up. Then the window motor died so I took the door apart removed the glass and regulator got to the motor and replaced it.now when I removed the regulator the big spring fell out,I simply put it back but there is no tension on it at all. I assume there should be a fair amount of tension in the down position to take some of the load of raising the window. Do I have to put tang in with a turn on the spring to load it up? Should it be loose? Even with the new motor the glass is labouring when raised . Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Ralph

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Normally you have to lock the regulator with the bolt before you can replace the motor otherwise thigs can get dangerous. I replaced all window motors in my 1970 Thunderbird 2d HT some time ago. There were no ready made holes to put in the locking bolts unlike some other cars I've seen before. I drilled 1/2 “ hole for the bolt and worked well. Quarter windows were a bit hard to do as the regulators were stainless steel. My best guess is that in your case the spring is set wrong now after the incident you had. It's important also that the rails are clean and greased well.

Back