1966 parts identification, bracket and cover

S

SamIam

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
First post so I appreciate feedback to help y'all help me.

brace length.jpgPlate or cover outter.jpg

The brace is 1/2" thick. The cover has a thin foam on the bottom. The cover is curved slightly.

To help with identifying these items they are from a 1966 convertible, Q code with AC, Highway Pilot, power windows, power driver's seat and safety control panel. I bought the car in late 90's and worked on it a year or so during other life stuff. Now 26 years later I am revisiting to determine a course of action with the car. As part of my activity, I am 'taking inventory' of the parts in the basement and trying my best to label and box parts!

I would appreciate your input.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am not going tbe much help because I don't recognize either one of those parts.
However, with a sound deadener or weather seal on the cover I would start on the floor of the interior or look in trunk.
To me the brace looks like a piece of the convertible top or possibly part of the trunk lid lifting mechanism.
Hopefully these ideas help you, maybe someone will come by soon with a positive id.
Welcome from California!

Thank you 74Harley for your reply.

I will go back to the assembly manual and shop manual and take another look in those areas. It is kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The brace piece is found under the car in front of the transmission, Not sure if its the left or right one.

The brace piece is found under the car in front of the transmission, Not sure if its the left or right one.
Thank you.

This will give me another area of the car to explorer. The engine and tranny were out when I received it so I don't have a vision for bracing or supports for that area of the car.

Do you, or others, have some suggestions of media to use in helping me see the assembly of the car? I have a couple of Jim Osborn assembly manuals and a shop manual but I find they may be lacking in the detail I need.

I appreciate the help and input.

I think it is smart to get an old Chilton's manual. It provides a lot of information and explanations of Remove and Replace procedures.
Doing a Google search might find the one you need on a used books site. Else, eBay usually has them.
Search for: Chilton's Auto Repair Manual 1964-1971.

Back