1966 Indicator lights on the dash?

ratbags

ratbags

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I took my new-to-me 1966 Thunderbird to be inspected for registration in Texas and it failed because the indicator lights on the dashboard do not work. Apparently cars after 1960 are supposed to have these. The indicator lights on the fender work and the high beam lamp on the dash works. I can't find anything about the T-Bird having indicator lights on the dashboard. Does anybody know if the vehicle does have these (and they are just not operating)? I saw a post from 2018 that seemed to suggest there should be indicator lights on the dash but wanted to double-check. We are planning a trip down Route 66 in the vehicle next year and so need to have it registered.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I took my new-to-me 1966 Thunderbird to be inspected for registration in Texas and it failed because the indicator lights on the dashboard do not work. Apparently cars after 1960 are supposed to have these. The indicator lights on the fender work and the high beam lamp on the dash works. I can't find anything about the T-Bird having indicator lights on the dashboard. Does anybody know if the vehicle does have these (and they are just not operating)? I saw a post from 2018 that seemed to suggest there should be indicator lights on the dash but wanted to double-check. We are planning a trip down Route 66 in the vehicle next year and so need to have it registered.
It appears that whoever the inspector was there, did not know anything about your 1966 Thunderbird. The turn signal indicators are on the front fenders, not on the dash! So, if the fender indicators were flashing, then that is what shows you are making a turn. You may have to tell him to learn more about these older cars so he doesn't fail a car due to his lack of knowledge! These were only on the 1964,1965 and 1966 models. If you have any 1966 Tbird sales brochures, I believe it shows them in there. Good luck, and congratulations on your new Tbird.

Thanks for that. They were going off some set of rules on-line. I will have to get hold of their source material to see what it actually says. I pointed out the fender setup but to no avail. :-( Hopefully some other Texans with T-Birds of that era know how to get around the inspection issue. They just passed a law here that takes away the safety inspection requirement. I think it's a dumb move because all sorts of crap vehicles will now be on the roads legally but it may help me out with this issue.

I have a 64 Thunderbird and I don't think they changed to dash board. It's still on fenders facing driver.

I know for a fact that the turn signal indicator lights for 1964-66 are on the fenders- not on the dash. Download an owner's manual for the car and educate the state inspector.

Plan B. Some states (like mine) let you register the car as an antique, and then there is no annual safety inspection. All they care about upon initial registration is if the VIN matches the title.

Plan C. Rig up the dumbest looking lights possible and use masking tape to fasten to your dash. After you pass inspection, remove them.

Good call, thanks. I have the owners manual. It doesn't show any dash lights, not even the High Beam light which does illuminate. I looked through the book and find reference to the indicator lights on the dash in the bulb section (attached). I spoke with my mechanic and he will write them a note to state whether or not it has additional indicator lights, apart from those on the fender. I was pleasantly surprised to see the car only failed inspection on the emergency brake and the indicator lights. I will be renewing the front end components before we take the road trip down Route 66. The transmission needs a major service or overhaul but apart from that all seems to be in order. Because I want to do the road trip I will need to register it as a regular vehicle I believe. They have a special category here for classics but the miles per year is restrictive. Basically to and from club events. If push comes to shove I will follow your advice on the temporary dash lights. Next year I doubt that I will need to pass a safety inspection as they just passed a law deprecating them.

Good call, thanks. I have the owners manual. It doesn't show any dash lights, not even the High Beam light which does illuminate. I looked through the book and find reference to the indicator lights on the dash in the bulb section (attached). I spoke with my mechanic and he will write them a note to state whether or not it has additional indicator lights, apart from those on the fender. I was pleasantly surprised to see the car only failed inspection on the emergency brake and the indicator lights. I will be renewing the front end components before we take the road trip down Route 66. The transmission needs a major service or overhaul but apart from that all seems to be in order. Because I want to do the road trip I will need to register it as a regular vehicle I believe. They have a special category here for classics but the miles per year is restrictive. Basically to and from club events. If push comes to shove I will follow your advice on the temporary dash lights. Next year I doubt that I will need to pass a safety inspection as they just passed a law deprecating them.
Interesting story. Yes here in Washington, we have a one time classic car registration with restrictions.
I'd be friendly with the inspectors and try to gently educate them on the fender indicators as a safety feature not having to take your eyes off the road and never had an in-dash duplicate.

Interesting story. Yes here in Washington, we have a one time classic car registration with restrictions.
I'd be friendly with the inspectors and try to gently educate them on the fender indicators as a safety feature not having to take your eyes off the road and never had an in-dash duplicate.
I still have one of my MGBs registered in WA as they allow for it to be out-of-state. Main reason is because it would not pass inspection in Texas. The electrics work when they feel like like it. :cool:

I still have one of my MGBs registered in WA as they allow for it to be out-of-state. Main reason is because it would not pass inspection in Texas. The electrics work when they feel like like it. :cool:
Lucas, Prince of Darkness ;)

Back