1966 code q convertible deck lid "tries" to open

C

CHICKEN_BANGER

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone, I have a 66 Q convertible and when I attempt to operate the top, the decklid raises a 1/2 inch or so, stops and starts in with a "pop pop pop pop" noise like there's a stripped gear. It will retract just fine but will not raise over 1/2". The 2008 convertible top troubleshooting guide has no mention of this problem, help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It sounds like you have a problem with the deck lid open mechanism. You need to check the shop manual, it should show you which fasteners you need to take off. Most likely they will be under the floor pan. Once you have removed those, you should be able to manually open the lid an remove the electric screw jacks and service them. I know a guy in Southern California that specialized in these if you are in the area.

Hello everyone, I have a 66 Q convertible and when I attempt to operate the top, the decklid raises a 1/2 inch or so, stops and starts in with a "pop pop pop pop" noise like there's a stripped gear. It will retract just fine but will not raise over 1/2". The 2008 convertible top troubleshooting guide has no mention of this problem, help!
It sounds like perhaps one of the deck lid limit switches (the one which allows the deck lid to open) may be out of adjustment.

Before you remove any fasteners or do anything else, try this: Have a responsible adult helper operate the convertible switch (CAREFUL: only in the UP direction) while you try lifting up on the edge of the deck lid. If the deck lid starts to raise, there's your problem. Then it's just a matter of adjusting the appropriate limit switch, but at least you'll be able to have the deck lid open.

I had the exact same issue with my 62 right after I bought it, and that is how I was able to open it to analyze and repair the problem.

Good luck!

Had same problem 1966 Test battery for available amperage and/or replace battery also attempt to raise with engine running as per owners manual Best of luck

Back