1965 transmission leak and electrical smoke

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Took a short Sunday cruise In my 65 thunderbird and it’s been doing fairly well but for the first time I noticed some smoke coming from the area of the amp gauge. Not sure if it’s coming from that gauge or just some wires behind it but it was electrical. Then when I got it home and let it sit in the drive way for a few I seen a transmission leak but where the fluid seems to be coming from almost looks like it’s supposed to be there. Let me now what y’all think.
62E428CD-AC24-40CE-A785-497785AA9714.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your front seal is probably weak.
As for the electrical issue, what accessories were running if any?
Take a flashlight and look under the dash and see if you find any melted wires.

Your front seal is probably weak.
As for the electrical issue, what accessories were running if any?
Take a flashlight and look under the dash and see if you find any melted wires.
No melted wires that I could see from under the dash but in the amp meter housing the tube looks wet the substance smells how the smoke did. I have no idea how this amp meter works but when I’m full throttle going down the road it’s pegged on “D”.Is a front seal a hassle to replace?4323E046-60BC-46E2-8827-0905C8CF3741.jpeg

On 64-65 the ammeter carries the full current to/from the battery and a poor connection can lead to a dashboard fire. Were it mine I wouldn’t drive it until that’s resolved.

On 64-65 the ammeter carries the full current to/from the battery and a poor connection can lead to a dashboard fire. Were it mine I wouldn’t drive it until that’s resolved.
I agree probably not the smartest to drive it with this issue. Is there any way to temporarily bypass it or what is the best way to hunt down the poor connection?

A full discharge could be the alternator shorting out.

A full discharge could be the alternator shorting out.
moved it about 5 feet to my concrete drive way so I could have a hard surface to work on. Noticed everytime I give it gas it pegs at discharge like I said before. Think the alternator is bad going to start there.

Disregard that last message. Was feeling around on the back side of the ammeter and there are 2 wires one goes in another comes out. The one coming out is way too loose and jiggling all around. Gonna see what I can do about that. What’s the east way to get to it finger tight is not doing it.

Last edited:
Maybe you can get in there with a 1/4" drive socket.

Maybe you can get in there with a 1/4" drive socket.
Was able to do exactly that and got both sides tightened up pretty good. Let it run for about 10 mins and didn’t seem that anything got how or smoked. But when I give it alot of gas it still pegs to “D”. Going to have end up putting a new alternator in I believe.

Was able to do exactly that and got both sides tightened up pretty good. Let it run for about 10 mins and didn’t seem that anything got how or smoked. But when I give it alot of gas it still pegs to “D”. Going to have end up putting a new alternator in I believe.
Did you ever consider that the ammeter could be defective? Did you actually test the charging system?

Attached is an article I wrote on how to test the charging system.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please do not attach PDF files of text. Copy/Paste the text to the forum as seen below so it can be indexed for searches and read by members without a PDF reader. Thanks!

The charging system consists of the battery and cables, the alternator or generator, and an external voltage
regulator. The function of the battery is to spin the starter motor to start the engine. Once that’s done, the
alternator takes over, satisfying the car’s electrical demands and keeping the battery charged. The battery then
acts primarily as a filter, keeping voltage spikes from damaging the car’s electronics. The voltage regulator
rapidly switches the alternator in and out of the charging circuit to provide the car with the correct voltage.
In 1955, the electrical system of the Thunderbird was 6 volt positive ground. In 1956, the Thunderbird
electrical system was changed to 12 volt negative ground. On the 12 volt system there are two important
numbers to remember, they are 12.6 volts and 13.5 volts.

12.6 Volts: If you think your car has a 12 volt battery, it doesn’t. The 12 volt battery actually has six
individual 2.1 volt cells (one under each fill cap). Thus, when fully charged, the battery should have a resting
voltage of 12.6 volts. If with the engine off, the resting voltage is less than 12.6 volts, the battery is low and
needs to be recharged. Of course, it begs the question of why the battery is low. It could be that the alternator
isn’t working, or that the battery has reached the end of its useful life.

13.5 Volts: With the engine running, the alternator should output a charging voltage that’s about a volt higher
than the resting voltage, or about 13.5 volts. The exact charging voltage may be as low as 13.2 volts or as high
as 14.2 volts.

If your Thunderbird is a 1955, with a 6 volt, positive ground system, the resting voltage is 6.3 volts and the
charging voltage should be about 7.1 volts. The exact charging voltage may be as low as 6.6 volts or as high as
7.1 volts.

Take a multi-meter and set it to measure DC voltage, then measure the voltage across the positive and negative
battery terminals with the engine off. On a 12 volt system, a fully charged battery should read a resting voltage
of 12.6 volts. After you start the car you should see a charging voltage of about a volt higher than resting
voltage. If the reading doesn’t increase by about a volt or if it stays at the resting voltage, it means that the
alternator isn’t recharging the battery. This could be because the alternator is defective, the regulator is
defective, or the wiring between them has failed. In any case, if you drive the car, the battery will run down. If
the battery runs down enough that the ignition stops firing, the engine will stall. It’s really important that you
don’t simply jump-start a car with a dead battery without checking to see if the alternator is charging.
A basic charging system health test: Use a multi-meter to measure the resting and charging voltages as
described above. Then, with the engine running, gradually increase the electrical load by turning on the
headlights and the blower fan. Then increase the engine RPM to about 3500 as you watch the reading on the
multi-meter. If the voltage stays about a volt higher than resting voltage, then the car’s charging system is
functioning. But if the voltage drops or increases dramatically at any point, there’s a problem with the
alternator or the voltage regulator

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever consider that the ammeter could be defective? Did you actually test the charging system?

Attached is an article I wrote on how to test the charging system.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please do not attach PDF files of text. Copy/Paste the text to the forum as seen below so it can be indexed for searches and read by members without a PDF reader. Thanks!

The charging system consists of the battery and cables, the alternator or generator, and an external voltage
regulator. The function of the battery is to spin the starter motor to start the engine. Once that’s done, the
alternator takes over, satisfying the car’s electrical demands and keeping the battery charged. The battery then
acts primarily as a filter, keeping voltage spikes from damaging the car’s electronics. The voltage regulator
rapidly switches the alternator in and out of the charging circuit to provide the car with the correct voltage.
In 1955, the electrical system of the Thunderbird was 6 volt positive ground. In 1956, the Thunderbird
electrical system was changed to 12 volt negative ground. On the 12 volt system there are two important
numbers to remember, they are 12.6 volts and 13.5 volts.

12.6 Volts: If you think your car has a 12 volt battery, it doesn’t. The 12 volt battery actually has six
individual 2.1 volt cells (one under each fill cap). Thus, when fully charged, the battery should have a resting
voltage of 12.6 volts. If with the engine off, the resting voltage is less than 12.6 volts, the battery is low and
needs to be recharged. Of course, it begs the question of why the battery is low. It could be that the alternator
isn’t working, or that the battery has reached the end of its useful life.

13.5 Volts: With the engine running, the alternator should output a charging voltage that’s about a volt higher
than the resting voltage, or about 13.5 volts. The exact charging voltage may be as low as 13.2 volts or as high
as 14.2 volts.

If your Thunderbird is a 1955, with a 6 volt, positive ground system, the resting voltage is 6.3 volts and the
charging voltage should be about 7.1 volts. The exact charging voltage may be as low as 6.6 volts or as high as
7.1 volts.

Take a multi-meter and set it to measure DC voltage, then measure the voltage across the positive and negative
battery terminals with the engine off. On a 12 volt system, a fully charged battery should read a resting voltage
of 12.6 volts. After you start the car you should see a charging voltage of about a volt higher than resting
voltage. If the reading doesn’t increase by about a volt or if it stays at the resting voltage, it means that the
alternator isn’t recharging the battery. This could be because the alternator is defective, the regulator is
defective, or the wiring between them has failed. In any case, if you drive the car, the battery will run down. If
the battery runs down enough that the ignition stops firing, the engine will stall. It’s really important that you
don’t simply jump-start a car with a dead battery without checking to see if the alternator is charging.
A basic charging system health test: Use a multi-meter to measure the resting and charging voltages as
described above. Then, with the engine running, gradually increase the electrical load by turning on the
headlights and the blower fan. Then increase the engine RPM to about 3500 as you watch the reading on the
multi-meter. If the voltage stays about a volt higher than resting voltage, then the car’s charging system is
functioning. But if the voltage drops or increases dramatically at any point, there’s a problem with the
alternator or the voltage regulator

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Well I believe you’re right, the meter is defective. The battery at idle sits at 14 volts, under a load it sits at 18 or so. Can I drive with it being defective since everything in the back side is tight now? I found a 66 ammeter for sale will that fit in a 65?

66 ammeter is not the same as 65. 66 uses a shunt so a small voltage is presented across the meter instead of the entire vehicle's current. Converting from the '65 way to the '66 way would be a good thing, if it's possible (seems worth investigating). It's much less likely to end in a devastating fire.

66 ammeter is not the same as 65. 66 uses a shunt so a small voltage is presented across the meter instead of the entire vehicle's current. Converting from the '65 way to the '66 way would be a good thing, if it's possible (seems worth investigating). It's much less likely to end in a devastating fire.
I am going to see if T bird ranch has any 65 units or maybe find someone to rebuild it. Another sign that it’s defective is there is some sort of brown substance on the meter itself. Seems like issues are known with the ammeters my issue seems a bit different though.

Timeout! There's nothing wrong with your gauge. It's reading backwards because someone else has been in there and got the wires mixed up. Switch the wires and it will read correctly.
Now on to your real problem! Unless your battery is dead you shouldn't be at 18 volts. Your voltage regulator is stuck or malfunctioning and probably needs replacement. Overcharging will kill your battery and probably caused the hot wire smell. 14.4-14.8 should be the maximum voltage you get. 13.6-13.8 is normal.

Back