1965 suspension upgrade

M

Mammut Mann

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hello.

Im looking into upgrading my front suspension on my flairbird. Do you have some recommendations or some advice for what parts i schould get. are there any interchangeable parts from other ford models of this year (galaxie etc.). I already rebuilt the rear suspension but now i want to do the front suspension this fall.

IMG_20201026_100847.jpgIMG_20201026_100852.jpgIMG_20201030_115117.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First, if you are running radial tires, set your PSI to 40 lbs for each tire. Second, install gas shocks all around. Third, get a larger size front anti-sway bar. Go to Thunderbird Southwest out of La Grange TX. Talk to Lance. He has 38years of experience on Thunderbird products. They will guide you through to the right part. Did all this on my 1966 T-Bird. Car handles like you think it should as a 5,000 lb luxury vehicle. Car does not float all over the road.

I inserted your images into your post using this method:

Don't just get the larger front bar from southwest; get the rear bar too. Just a larger front actually increases understeer and adding the rear really helps reduce some of that scrub. They will give you urethane bushings - make sure you lube them A LOT with appropriate lube or they will squeak after a few years. I had to pull all of mine and redo them after about five years, but not a big deal. The anti-sway bars do effectively increase the spring rates, so the ride is just a touch firmer - just about perfect IMHO, and now my '65 convertible no longer scuffs the door handles when going around corners!!

Back