1965 Instrument install

CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had to remove my speedometer today and getting it out was not easy. One of the hardest parts was disconnecting the wires to the gauges. Not much slack or room. I thought there might be a connector that would allow me to pre-wire the gauges and then plug in the connector but no such luck. Any ideas? right now my options are to try to reconnect each wire or solder in a 6" extension on each wire to give more slack. with keeping the original connectors, I looking at 40 splices. I prefer solder connections. Any one use the splices that have the solder built in? THX

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had to remove my speedometer today and getting it out was not easy. One of the hardest parts was disconnecting the wires to the gauges. Not much slack or room. I thought there might be a connector that would allow me to pre-wire the gauges and then plug in the connector but no such luck. Any ideas? right now my options are to try to reconnect each wire or solder in a 6" extension on each wire to give more slack. with keeping the original connectors, I looking at 40 splices. I prefer solder connections. Any one use the splices that have the solder built in? THX
I think if you look at marine suppliers you might find them. I had a 31' Trojan cruiser for several years and got to know marine connectors. If I remember correctly they had solder butt splices that melted at a low enough temperature you could solder with a lighter or small soldering torch I even had some soldering strips that would work with a lighter Low heat to not cause issues. They also had sealants in the connector that would waterproof the connection, yah in a marine environment that's important. Belden or Granger may be a place to look too.

Last edited:
Back