1965 clunking noise left front

N

normandnikkijo

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
There is a clunking noise (left front) in my ’65 when I go over even the smallest of bumps. However, if I am slightly braking, the clunking noise doesn’t happen.

I took it to a local mechanic. They said my steering box is bad. They were going to tried to find a good used one but no luck after 3 months.

My questions to the forum are, does Steering Box sound like the right diagnosis? Has anyone else had this issue? To me it seems like a suspension issue but I do now have the skill or equipment to evaluate, let alone repair.

Thank you in advance

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like a control arm bushing or loose ball joint.
Instead of a local mechanic try a tire shop that does front end alignment work. They're more versed in steering and suspension problems.

There is a clunking noise (left front) in my ’65 when I go over even the smallest of bumps. However, if I am slightly braking, the clunking noise doesn’t happen.

I took it to a local mechanic. They said my steering box is bad. They were going to tried to find a good used one but no luck after 3 months.

My questions to the forum are, does Steering Box sound like the right diagnosis? Has anyone else had this issue? To me it seems like a suspension issue but I do now have the skill or equipment to evaluate, let alone repair.

Thank you in advance
I would discount the steering box as the source of the 'clunk' as that has nothing to do with the rest of the suspension. They can be adjusted if there is excessive play and not replace. The first thing I would look at is the shock absorbers & mounts & bushings. As they age the bushings shrink & harden or the shocks themselves have degraded to the point the internals are also at play.
Do the 'old school' shock test and push on each corner and get it rocking, it should just rebound & stop. If it osculates more they should be replaced. Not a big job.

I would check the rubber isolators at the top and bottom of the springs. A small bump may cause a clunk that would go away under braking due to weight shifting back on the front springs.

Have an appointment next Wednesday with a local mechanic to check out what you brothers are suggesting as possibilities. Greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted.

Have an appointment next Wednesday with a local mechanic to check out what you brothers are suggesting as possibilities. Greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted.
If the noise quiets when you apply brakes you might have a brake pad that is moving around. There is supposed to be a clip on the pad that keeps it from rattling on bumps. Could be you have lost one.

Thank you in advance
I am by no means any authority on this but in my experience this likely is from the part that is most seldom replaced due to its complexity in doing so, and this part is the upper control arm bushing.

This one is a pita to replace. But its doable ?

Thank you in advance

Problem solved! Found a small hot rod shop outside of Des Moines, JarbsHotRods.com run by two brothers who are long time car guys. The clunking noise was actually a loose brake caliper. jOlson was correct. There were in fact other parts that were worn out and replaced, Strut Rob Bushings and Sway Bar Links. Thank you guys for your help.

Back