1964 Transmission swap

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking to change my C-6 transmission to a AOD transmission. Would appreciate any help from someone that done this, as well give me any information that would help me in looking for what would work best as far as what if anything that would fit in tunnel, and any major concerns I should have.
It is a 428 CI
Is there any transmission that would bolt to the FE without an adapter?
Would cross members have to be relocated or replaced?
I know the rear end gears would have to be changed as well as the drive shaft more than likily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance,
Mike

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It can be done.. at a cost. You would have to make the decision if it worth it. Look on Ebay for adapter kits to mate an AOD to a FE engine. Next would be sourcing the transmission, there are several online sellers that sell rebuilt and upgraded AOD's. Crossmember relocation, shift cable, drive shaft modification, neutral safety switch, then as you stated a regear as the AOD have a .67 overdrive. My 64 has had the AOD conversion, but the engine was also relplaced with a 393 Stroker small block windsor which eliminate the need for an adapter. It only takes money... but I am sure you already knew that as you own a classic car..
Good Luck
Ed

I am curious about why you want an overdrive trans. Especially with a 428.

Looking to change my C-6 transmission to a AOD transmission. Would appreciate any help from someone that done this, as well give me any information that would help me in looking for what would work best as far as what if anything that would fit in tunnel, and any major concerns I should have.
It is a 428 CI
Is there any transmission that would bolt to the FE without an adapter?
Would cross members have to be relocated or replaced?
I know the rear end gears would have to be changed as well as the drive shaft more than likily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Hey Mike,

I'm looking to do the same swap. Check out Monster Transmissions. They have both AOD and AODE transmissions with an FE adapter kit. Its pricey but it's not a regular AOD. It's heavy duty and can take some punishment and hp. I am looking to possibly buy it soon. Just need to find a shop that can tackle this project. I also spoke to a guy that did this exact swap himself. He was selling his 66 with an AODE ( 4r70w). He has tons of info on what needed to be done to make it work. I wrote a lot of it down and have his contact info.

Hey Mike,

I'm looking to do the same swap. Check out Monster Transmissions. They have both AOD and AODE transmissions with an FE adapter kit. Its pricey but it's not a regular AOD. It's heavy duty and can take some punishment and hp. I am looking to possibly buy it soon. Just need to find a shop that can tackle this project. I also spoke to a guy that did this exact swap himself. He was selling his 66 with an AODE ( 4r70w). He has tons of info on what needed to be done to make it work. I wrote a lot of it down and have his contact info.
Would you provide me with what information you have as well as his and your contact? I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter. Getting back to it.

Back