1964 steering gear box removal

Bornin63

Bornin63

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Want to try and reseal my gearbox, WHAT'S THE SECRET TO REMOVE IT ! disconnected both hoses, ground wire, rag joint, tie rod end, drag link, removed the 3 mounting bolts and the stupid thing just will not drop out the bottom.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have you loosen the steering axle joint? Looks like a one bolt tie rod brace.

Have you loosen the steering axle joint? Looks like a one bolt tie rod brace.
I was able to get it out. I removed the 3 isolaters (spacers) , gave me just enough room and with a little wiggling it came out. It's hard to move when your laying on your back it must weigh 50lbs.

Thanks for the idea's

I was able to get it out. I removed the 3 isolaters (spacers) , gave me just enough room and with a little wiggling it came out. It's hard to move when your laying on your back it must weigh 50lbs.

Thanks for the idea's
I am glad you made it.
Curious this box comes off from underneath and not from.above, removing the brake main cylinder (pump).

The fun part is getting it back in. Look closely at the steering shaft. It's indexed and only connects to the steering box in one spot.

When reinstalling, fix your steering well centered with your tires centered too....
Ideally you should have marked the exact position before removing....

Also, be very careful when replacing the seals: if you do any disassembly of the box, you may change the “adjustments” of the box. Highly recommend getting/reading factory shop manual. If you mess with the adjustments, the steering wheel will not “center”.

Want to try and reseal my gearbox, WHAT'S THE SECRET TO REMOVE IT ! disconnected both hoses, ground wire, rag joint, tie rod end, drag link, removed the 3 mounting bolts and the stupid thing just will not drop out the bottom.
I take a cold chisel and turn the pads on the box/frame bolt holes and this frees up more room. Might want to drop the exhaust also. it come out the bottom. 50lbs?

you should drop the exhaust off. might loosen up engine mounts and jack up the engine a few inches.

Back