1964 Some cylinders not firing

One thing that can happen when your float level is too high is when you shut down the car the carburetor will warm up and the fuel it's holding also warms AND EXPANDS. This creates a flooding situation and everything else can appear normal.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

One thing that can happen when your float level is too high is when you shut down the car the carburetor will warm up and the fuel it's holding also warms AND EXPANDS. This creates a flooding situation and everything else can appear normal.
Can't even get it warm.. without thinking I am doing damage. I put a spark plug sensor on that wire. I am getting a spark but seems to be inconsistent. Sensor states faulty plug or distributor module.
Still going to see if lifters are working properly.
Getting close to my limits and patience. May need to bring it in for diagnostic

Spark plugs are cheap. Buy 2 put them in and fire it up. Sometimes you can't clean fouled plugs. If that doesn't fix it take a couple of days off and think about the module.
I know it can be frustrating, I recently had similar issues with my boat it had some little things wrong when I got it but took some time to get sorted out.

It’s time to stop and take and look at the facts. You said that after you removed the carburetor you looked in the manifold and it was loaded with gas. You also stated that spark plugs 3 and 7 were gas fouled. If you look at the intake manifold runners, I’ll be that cylinders 3 and 7 share the same runner.

On a 1956 Thunderbird I was working on for a misfire, fuel was leaking from the right rear secondary of the carburetor causing raw fuel to leak into that runner. The result was a misfire from the two cylinders that shared that runner.

The spark plugs, distributor module, leaking intake manifold gasket, cam lobes, or a clasped lifter can cause a misfire, but will not cause the intake manifold be loaded with gas, only the carburetor can cause that. If it were me I would look at the facts and start with the carburetor.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Check for gas in the crankcase oil also. Once the carb problem is resolved you'll probably want to change the oil.

Ok took the week off.
I grabbed the Holley 750 I had sitting on the shelf. Put that on,cranked it over and it started and idled. sounded ok. I then changed all the plugs again. Took it around the block, thing runs strong now. I think it was that dang stock carb. Will check plugs again to see what I have now, but man what a difference the Holley made.

Back