1964 deleting surge tank

Maxx_basher

Maxx_basher

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
good afternoon,

i have developed a small leak in my radiator surge tank. options are a new standard looking replacement, a new alloy one from champion or deleting the surge tank altogether. any advise from the experts would be greatly appreciated

thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You can't delete it without changing the radiator. If you take it to a radiator shop they can probably solder it up pretty cheap.

I had a similar issue along the seam of my tank. I molded some JB Weld (heat resistant) along the seam as a temporary fix and painted the tank. That was about 7 years ago with no leaks.So I’ll spend some money on other repairs in the meantime.

good afternoon,

i have developed a small leak in my radiator surge tank. options are a new standard looking replacement, a new alloy one from champion or deleting the surge tank altogether. any advise from the experts would be greatly appreciated

thank you
You can delete if you want to, but you will need to buy some parts:
Thermostat housing and upper hose from a Mustang, an In-line Radiator Cap housing (Summit/Jegs), and two more hose clamps. I did it on my 64, and it works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
You can delete if you want to, but you will need to buy some parts:
Thermostat housing and upper hose from a Mustang, an In-line Radiator Cap housing (Summit/Jegs), and two more hose clamps. I did it on my 64, and it works fine.
Thank you all for your thoughts.
thank you BigClay for the instructions and pics of your engine bay. it looks very tidy. i can see you are running a overflow bottle. is that something you recommend and also i noticed your fan shoud. is that something you tweaked to fit or is is off the shelf. thank you again for you help.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
thank you BigClay for the instructions and pics of your engine bay. it looks very tidy. i can see you are running a overflow bottle. is that something you recommend and also i noticed your fan shoud. is that something you tweaked to fit or is is off the shelf. thank you again for you help.
THANKYOU. I installed a 1966 A/C TBird fan and shroud (because it’s bigger). The shroud is Fiberglas, do I modified/extended it over the fan blades. The overflow bottle is not necessary, but it saves coolant if it should overheat. (It never has)

THANKYOU. I installed a 1966 A/C TBird fan and shroud (because it’s bigger). The shroud is Fiberglas, do I modified/extended it over the fan blades. The overflow bottle is not necessary, but it saves coolant if it should overheat. (It never has)
Thanks again for all your thoughts. i went with BigClays advice and all is working well. used locally sourced things here. we have had a few runs now and everything appears to be great. i did find i do need the overflow bottle. thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Back