1963 stiff power steering

Dustin F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just replaced the power steering pump and worked out all the air but still seems to have hard steering. My mechanic buddy said my pressure line probably collapsed and needs to be replaced can anyone vouch for that and would that solve the hard steer issue?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tip: summarize what your post is about in your title. "1963 power steering" is vauge and could be anything. Good titles get more responses.
Title updated by staff. One word can draw someones attention.
model-year.jpg

A pinched metal line? Yes. A soft line? No. Your pump should produce over 1000 lbs pressure. A collapsed line would blow out.
Did someone recently adjust the steering box? Maybe overtightened it?
Is the belt tight enough?
There's a lot of things that can cause hard steering, you know it takes about 500 miles to break in the new pump, how long have you run it?

The belt is tight and steering box hasn't been touched. I jacked up the front end to move the wheel lock to lock and was easy sailing but when I let it down is when it was hard steering. Took it for a drive and the result was the same. Pump replacement is only a few weeks old

Two things come to mind, defective pump, or needs to break in.

Back