1963 Seatbelt installation

EdRey

EdRey

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking for information on installing front and rear seatbelts on my 1963

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What information are you looking for specifically? Are you installing new or replacing existing seat belts? Mine already had front and rear belts (they even had one installed for the center seating position for the rear seat - even thought that is not really a “seat” across the hump (I hid that one under the seat.) I replaced the two front ones with new ones when I replaced the seat upholstery, foam and carpeting.

EdRey - There should be nuts welded to the floor pan where the seat belts would bolt into. This picture shows the floor in my 63 when I pulled the seats and carpet out to reupholster the seats and replace the carpeting. I put new foil insulation on the floor after removing the old insulation before installing the new carpet and seats. This view is the passenger side, and you can see one of the nuts on the outboard side of the floor just beyond the new insulation (the one on the inboard “hump” is already covered by the insulation.) For the back seat you will need to remove the seat bottom to get to those nuts (one each outboard and on inboard “hump” side for both sides.) Hope this helps!
IMG_1442.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very helpful. Thank you so much :)
Also I had some added to my 65 fair lane when I had it and someone just drilled a hole in the floor and finding the right spot to punch with the seat in the car.. mark it, pull the seat and drill the hole, throw in a bolt with 2 washers and lock washer and you should be good lol… just one way to do it if you don’t have anything to start from

Back