1963 power steering problem

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I know there is probably no for sure answer to this but my 63 coupe is in storage and I have no way for a mechanic to test this problem. The power steerring works OK as long as I have fluid in it. With the engine running the fluid always appears to have air bubbles in it and it eventually over flows the resivor and it goes dry. I am just wondering if the pumps give a bit of trouble on these cars and should that be the first thing I replace?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The pump needs rebuilt or replaced. Rebuild kits are fairly priced and its a fairly simple rebuild.

Rapidrobert is probably right, but I would consider air getting in the P/S system and forcing the fluid out.

I know there is probably no for sure answer to this but my 63 coupe is in storage and I have no way for a mechanic to test this problem. The power steerring works OK as long as I have fluid in it. With the engine running the fluid always appears to have air bubbles in it and it eventually over flows the resivor and it goes dry. I am just wondering if the pumps give a bit of trouble on these cars and should that be the first thing I replace?
Im not an expert but I've had a similar issue on my 63, I ended up putting a new PS pump and a new high pressure hose from pump to the steering box and seems to be fine. You COULD have a collapsed hose and not allowing fluid to circulate

Back