1963 no start after backing into something

winglover1

winglover1

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am curious if anyone has an idea why my bird died after I gently backed into something. Didn't cause any damage to the back of the car, but when I pulled forward a few feet it died. It cranked and cranked, but wouldn't restart. I opened the hood and made sure the coil and ignition wires were on solid. I waited five minutes and tried again . It cranked and cranked, then backfired a huge Bang and restarted. It has never backfired before and has started within 10-12 seconds on most cold starts after a few weeks off. The entire fuel system has been replaced, tank, lines, pump, filter, and carb rebuilt. I am now paranoid I will leave our community and have it die on me somewhere on two lane blacktop with no shoulders.

Any thoughts?? Funky float?

I am on travel and won't be able to attempt a restart for a ew more days.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am curious if anyone has an idea why my bird died after I gently backed into something. Didn't cause any damage to the back of the car, but when I pulled forward a few feet it died. It cranked and cranked, but wouldn't restart. I opened the hood and made sure the coil and ignition wires were on solid. I waited five minutes and tried again . It cranked and cranked, then backfired a huge Bang and restarted. It has never backfired before and has started within 10-12 seconds on most cold starts after a few weeks off. The entire fuel system has been replaced, tank, lines, pump, filter, and carb rebuilt. I am now paranoid I will leave our community and have it die on me somewhere on two lane blacktop with no shoulders.

Any thoughts?? Funky float?

I am on travel and won't be able to attempt a restart for a ew more days.
first thing I would do is check points/gap. I know it sounds strange but that is the easiest and then check coil /spark and make sure it throws a good orange Sparke across a 7/16 gap. then if that fails check wire to the coil from the power source to the coil hot side. could have jarred it loose.

first thing I would do is check points/gap. I know it sounds strange but that is the easiest and then check coil /spark and make sure it throws a good orange Sparke across a 7/16 gap. then if that fails check wire to the coil from the power source to the coil hot side. could have jarred it loose.
also do a crank fuel volume test. watch out U dont start it all on fire.. check wires from starter solenoid. to coil

Doesn't sound like a fuel issue if it backfired. No fuel in the exhaust no backfire. Sounds electrical to me and something got knocked loose. I don't know if the '63s still use an external coil resistor but if they do I'd look at that first or the ground wire in the dist. for the points. Same symptoms I had when my resistor started going.

While I agree it's probably electrical, it could also be the carburetor float is set too high. A nice bump could slosh fuel out and flood the engine.
It sounds like you got it started, if it happens again hold the throttle wide open while cranking and see if it starts easier. That's the trick for a flooded engine.

I recently bought an electronic ignition module, but have installed it. I have also toyed with the idea of replacing the coil with a stronger one

Back