1962 engine bay color is different

S

sports roadster

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
i have a 1962 thunderbird sports roadster, it is Diamond blue ( n ) but the engine bay is white, why is that?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is this a trick question?

I have original window sticker, build sheet, and trim tag that say this an n car. Engine bay is not the same

I have original window sticker, build sheet, and trim tag that say this an n car. Engine bay is not the same
Almost any car the engine bay is car color as they are all painted at the same time. It's possible the engine was pulled for a re-build or replacement the previous owner thought that it would dress it up and show off the engine better.

In the past 60 years, the car has likely been painted.

In the past 60 years, the car has likely been painted.
I think he did mention the color code on the build sheet was correct for the color currently on the car but I'm not that familiar with the color codes other than the baby birds.

I've seen white engine bays painted another "cleaner" color, but never white. It's the most unforgiving color. Even driving through a mud puddle can ruin a presentation. Since Sports Roadster has documentation of the current Diamond Blue, someone must have made her white at some point, then every repaint since - including it's return to the original - left the bay that same white. Probably didn't want to pull the motor.
Only reason I can think of.

Here is the mystery Mr Holmes. My father bought this car new in October of 62, I don’t remember it ever being painted but there are signs of a total repaint. My mother sold the car in 1997. She regretted selling the car the day it left. I have recently bought the car back, and in the process of somewhat restoring the vehicle. I know for a fact that the gentleman we sold it to did not have it painted. It must have been painted under my dad’s care but can’t think he would say let’s paint the car and and the engine bay white ( cream ). The reason I ask is because if I paint the car n than I am more or less obligated to take the motor out with everything else, which I probably would do anyway.I don’t want to get too extensive but I do want it to look factor, but the bay and hood plus the trunk do not look ( n ). I will try to send pictures. ???IMG_1189.jpegIMG_1190.jpegIMG_1191.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point in time, a really nice white paint job was done on this car.
If you're going for complete correctness on this car than a full disassembly is in your future.
Just for kicks you may want to check the warranty tag on the door against the serial number stamped under the hood.

Tag in door jam seems to be original with no paint on it, where can I find other serial numbers?

Attachments

• IMG_1193.jpeg
    IMG_1193.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Look up near the headlights, left side if I remember correctly...

It now looks like there may have been a repaint in white, but just a cover coat including the engine compt.. and trunk. When I bought my car the trunk was painted the new color, navy blue to cover the lass desirable coral sand. they left the engine compartment the original color.
A fairly complete repaint until it was returned to the original color.
It's interesting Some investigation poking around at places that a spray gun would not naturally go. Unless you want to show it at just local non judging show and keep it as a working driver no one would care about the color difference and a good talking point at local shows with the lids open but on the road nobody would know the difference.
Pick your battles as my wife tells me. and she as she puts up with me.

Back