1961 not getting fuel

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to know why I'm not getting fuel to my carburetor on a 1961 Ford Thunderbird I had just recently put a new gas tank into along with all new soft fuel lines fuel filter and sending unit, which before doing I had running with a fuel line connected to the fuel pump to a gas can but now after installing the new tank I'm not getting fuel. And I've disconnected the soft line that attaches to the fuel pump and do see fuel to that point but no fuel getting up into the filter before the carburetor I've tried priming by cranking the engine repeatedly with no luck. So if you might know what could be happening I'd appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Make sure your Fuel Filter is not reversed and remove line to carb to see if there is pressure when engine turns over (without ignition on).

I had rhe same problem and tried with electric in-line pumps, which worked in an acceptable way. Also tried many mechanical pumps which seemed american, but were truly Chinese: Garbage.
Nevertheless, my problem only got fixed until I purchased an AC rebuilt pump, made and fixed IN THE USA. Do not try any other than ALL AMERICAN pumps and better if AC.
Also, the fuel entry needle at the top of your carb needs to be adjusted correctly to allow fuel entry and not getting closed by the float. There are many good videos in YouTube which teach all you need to know about your carburetor.
Good luck.

I would like to know why I'm not getting fuel to my carburetor on a 1961 Ford Thunderbird I had just recently put a new gas tank into along with all new soft fuel lines fuel filter and sending unit, which before doing I had running with a fuel line connected to the fuel pump to a gas can but now after installing the new tank I'm not getting fuel. And I've disconnected the soft line that attaches to the fuel pump and do see fuel to that point but no fuel getting up into the filter before the carburetor I've tried priming by cranking the engine repeatedly with no luck. So if you might know what could be happening I'd appreciate your help.
if I understand: you; you have fuel getting to the fuel pump from the line that is connected to the tank. You do not have fuel from the fuel pump exit side of the fuel pump. Is that correct? Did you also replace the fuel pump? Do you have gasoline in the crankcase oil? did you clear the hard line from tan to soft line before the fuel pump input side? A little clarity will help in offering advise. such as: point to point fuel flow in a linear description.

Try blowing back through the line from the fuel pump into the tank. There could be a soft line between the tank and pump that you haven't seen yet and it may be collapsed. I had this same issue on a truck years ago.

if I understand: you; you have fuel getting to the fuel pump from the line that is connected to the tank. You do not have fuel from the fuel pump exit side of the fuel pump. Is that correct? Did you also replace the fuel pump? Do you have gasoline in the crankcase oil? did you clear the hard line from tan to soft line before the fuel pump input side? A little clarity will help in offering advise. such as: point to point fuel flow in a linear description.
Perhaps one more issue; is the input side of the fuel pump connected to the fuel line from the tank and the output side connected to the line going to the carburetor?

A short note ... when ever I try to start my car, particularly if it's not been started for a day or longer,
I found that by first pressing the gas pedal for 10 to 15 times before trying to start the car, it will start.
Who knows, it might work for you.

What jack-in-sac said. You might have the lines on the fuel pump reversed. I managed to do that on my '64 TBird when I replaced the old fuel pump. If I remember correctly, the inlet and outlet ports on the new pump were reversed as compared to the old pump.

What jack-in-sac said. You might have the lines on the fuel pump reversed. I managed to do that on my '64 TBird when I replaced the old fuel pump. If I remember correctly, the inlet and outlet ports on the new pump were reversed as compared to the old pump.
Nice find. I assume it's still working even thought the ports were reversed. Crossed fingers.

Absolutely. The ports should be marked as to inlet and outlet, but markings are hard to see once the pump is installed!

Sounds like it could be fuel pump related. Are the connections in out right way around?

Thanks I got it fixed after changing the pump and rebuilding the carburetor but now that I got it started there is smoke coming from the oil fill and the oil light is on with a slight misfire

To update this post. To fix my problem of not getting fuel I had to completely rebuild the carburetor with a. Kit I got at Mike's carburetor who with everyone here were very helpful I appreciate.

Me other thing too is if you ever swap the filter or the pump get a small funnel and fill it up with gas then throw it back on… it takes FOREVER to fill one of those filters from empty!

Back