1961 Delete EGR tube?

Bob63

Bob63

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The previous owner fudged up the egr tube at the back of the manifold on my ‘61. It’s held in place with a weird clamp he fabricated. It would be much easier if I can just delete and block off the egr system. Is this possible? If so does anyone offer a kit to do this?

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The previous owner fudged up the egr tube at the back of the manifold on my ‘61. It’s held in place with a weird clamp he fabricated. It would be much easier if I can just delete and block off the egr system. Is this possible? If so does anyone offer a kit to do this?
If you block it off, where will you vent the pressure from the crankcase?

EGR ? or PCV ?

They're not the same thing. Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Did '61 even have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system? Maybe the '68 or newer ?

Last edited:
EGR ? or PCV ?

They're not the same thing. Did '61 even have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system?
picture looked like a pcv valve to me. But thank you, I stand humbled.

A '61 did not come with an egr system or pcv. That should have just been a road vent.

It was called a draft tube in 61 and 62. It just hung down and vented. In 63 a pcv system was used To suck out the fumes.

EGR ? or PCV ?

They're not the same thing. Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Did '61 even have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system? Maybe the late 60's ?

Thank you to all that replied. Now I’m not sure what this setup is. There’s no road draft tube and no pcv valve. If you take a look at this better picture there is a hard line from a port on the front of the intake manifold that goes around the right side where it joins a rubber line that connects to a fitting at the back of the manifold. I’m not at all sure what this accomplishes. Should there be a road draft tube at the rear of the manifold? What am I missing? IMG_0402.jpeg

If that car was ever in California, an aftermarket PVC system was probably installed. That looks like what you have. That may be a pcv in between the rubber and metal lines. If it was my car and not in California, I would remove it, and install a draft tube. But that's me.

If that car was ever in California, an aftermarket PVC system was probably installed. That looks like what you have. That may be a pcv in between the rubber and metal lines. If it was my car and not in California, I would remove it, and install a draft tube. But that's me.
Where would the draft tube be installed?
Does anyone have a photo of the factory setup on a ‘61?

The draft tube goes in the hole on the back of the manifold.

The draft tube goes in the hole on the back of the manifold.
It will be interesting to see how the draft tube was eliminated and how the port was sealed. I've seen this done on the 'Y' blocks on the pretense of pollution control and just screwing up the original breathing of the engine.

More than likely you will have to remove the manifold to fix this problem correctly, wether you you go back to a draft tube or fix the system you have.

Thanks again for all the replies. There is definitely no draft tube. To save removing the intake, which I will do if necessary, I wonder if I just cut into the hose connected to the fitting at back of manifold, add a tee in the line and put in a draft tube. Would this work? There is a pcv in the line adjacent to the carb. IMG_0402.jpeg

If you use a draft tube you must eliminate the pcv and plug the manifold where it is connected.

Thanks so much for your responses! All my experience is in cars from the ‘30s thru the ‘50s so have no knowledge of pcv systems.
So, is this system in fact plumbed correctly with a pcv and no road draft tube?

The short answer is yes. You positively do not want a draft tube and a PVC. The draft tube would then be turned into an air pickup by the manifold vacuum and would bring dirt directly into your engine.

PVC is a help as it helps reduce oil leaks by putting a slight vacuum in the crankcase.

Back