1959 Rust in the Tank

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This past weekend i replaced the fuel sending unit (the good news is my fuel gauge now works) but i was shocked to see the extent of rust and corrosion on the sending unit. It gave me great concern that my gas tank and the fuel lines may also have the same degree of rust and corrosion. I think the pictures illustrate compelling evidence supporting the controversial subject if ethanol is or is not harmful to older engines has been answered. I know I will only be putting in non-ethanol gasoline in my car from now on.
But to my question. Is there a fuel additive that address rust in tanks and lines that can eventually dissolve and remove the rust? I've heard Seafoam may be an additive that can accomplish this. Any of you have any thoughts or recommendations? Is there even such an additive? I don't want to have to replace the tank and fuel lines if possible, but i am concerned. Thanks
IMG_0119.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There's no additive that will remove rust from the tank. What is on your sending unit is very likely caused by condensation. Ethenol fuel doesn't cause rust but will absorb water from your tank.
My best advice here is to put a clear fuel filter just before your fuel pump. Keep an eye on it.if you start accumulating rust then start contacting local radiator shops.some of them will clean tanks and apply a rust proof coating inside.

I had a rusty tank on my Ranch Wagon '57...and what I did was to remove te tank and filled it with a bunch of nuts and bolts and agitate it for quite some time with some vinegar or muriatic acid (soft chloridic acid) and then remove the nuts/bolts and wash with diesel. Finally wash with gasoline. It has stayed clean for a few years now.

Take a look at the POR 15 products. They have everything you need to make your tank like new. Reasonable cost and its not hard to do. We have used their products a lot and always happy with the results

Back