1959 Black Streaks in Whitewall tires

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently installed white wall tires on my car, previously black walls, so i have no idea how long this has been happening. I drove it for the first time this past weekend with the new tires and I noticed something leaking onto my rear tires (see attached photo). I'm thinking rear end because i can't imagine anything black liquid coming from the brakes. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I inserted your photo as a full size image using the method below.

Your subject "1959 Mystery Leak" has been revised to summarize what your post is about.

This appears to be bleeding from the tire. Go back where you had the tires installed and show them. I think I've read about this issue before somewhere on whitewalls.
Screenshot_20230503_120209_Edge.jpg

I have never seen streaks like that but have seen bleed through yellowing the white wall even on high end wide whites. There is something in the new rubber compounds that tends to leach out and stain. It could also have something to do with the lube they put on the bead when mounting the tire and oozed out when driving.

It could also be bead sealer.any shops just automatically put it on.

Back