1957 valve cover gasket installation problems

F

farmerdick

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Am reconditioning my aluminum valve covers and ordered new gaskets from a thunderbird parts retailer. The gaskets i scraped off were cork. The new ones were also cork(FelPro). I ordered new rubber seals
and chrome washers. With the new gaskets inplace, the valve cover will not sit low enough to start the chrome nuts. The gasket sits about 1/8" below the lip on the valve cover. Anybody run into this problem?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Am reconditioning my aluminum valve covers and ordered new gaskets from a thunderbird parts retailer. The gaskets i scraped off were cork. The new ones were also cork(FelPro). I ordered new rubber seals
and chrome washers. With the new gaskets inplace, the valve cover will not sit low enough to start the chrome nuts. The gasket sits about 1/8" below the lip on the valve cover. Anybody run into this problem?
I had the same issue
I used gasket adhesive to hold it in place
The nuts started without the washe and then compressed te gasket enough to be able to use te washers
I started every other one without the washer first

Were the aluminum covers used on the engine before you changed the gasket? There are longer valve cover studs for the aluminum covers over the steel ones.

Were the aluminum covers used on the engine before you changed the gasket? There are longer valve cover studs for the aluminum covers over the steel ones.

That's something to check. My car had aluminum covers on when I got it, but someone had added them, and the studs were the wrong studs. Kits with new correct length studs are available from the usual vendors along with new rubbers, chrome washers, and chrome acorn nuts... which is the route I took to get it all back in order.

The covers came with the car. Not sure if they were added later. That's defiantly something to check out. Oh the JOY of fixing someone else's fudging.

Valve cover gaskets come in either 1/4" or 1/8" thickness.... Order the 1/8" thickness and you will be fine..
Mark,, 57 D modell

Yeah I added mickey Thompson to mine, there’s booster clearance issues.. but I went front disc but I got longer bolts and bigger washers and then used some of that brown bottle shellac Indian head I think it’s called.. basically light lightly coat one side and slap it on the valve cover and run the bolts through… might be a bit of a finesse game but I only glued them to the valve cover… I then go around the clock and snug them hand tight then a medium torquing turn … let the gasket do its job don’t pinch em just snug em and a 1/4 turn to lock em and you’re golden!

I'm replacing both valve cover gaskets, any suggestions for this procedure. Silicone gasket to cover? Bolt torque? Thanks.

You can unscrew the bolts a little to make it fit. I did that.

Back