1957 Trunk cylinder replacement

F

farmerdick

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1957 trunk cylinder replacement. Replacing worn trunk cylinder but can not get the pin on end of cylinder to depress far enough to clear lock housing to get it out. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1690915059126.jpeg
    1690915059126.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 13

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

you need to insert the key and rotate it until the pin will depress. To do this you need the old or original key to the trunk.

you need to insert the key and rotate it until the pin will depress. To do this you need the old or original key to the trunk.
Once you get it out take the original key and the new cylinder to a locksmith and have the new one re-pined to the original key so you will still only have two keys.

I have tried that. Had the cylinder in a vice and slowly turned the key while depressing the pin. Even put some WD-40, but that did not help!! Would not budge.

Pull the key while you depress the pin. Use the smallest punch you have to depress the pin and pull not turn.

is the cylinder moving? if so, then maybe the pin is frozen due to corrosion. you can drill out the cylinder by drilling it out through the keyhole. the cylinder is a soft metal and will easily drill. Be careful not to damage the housing.

I have a good report!!! After having soaked the cylinder yesterday with the WD-40, I tried again this morning and it finally depressed in so i could remove it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Richard

My key will not go all the way into the lock. Will not turn the cylinder at all. I have the lock out of the trunk. The pin will not depress to release the cylinder because I can't turn the key in the cylinder. Any suggestions? Thanks, Zootr

Last edited by a moderator:
Soak your cylinder overnight with Kroil or something similar and try again.

Back