1957 transmission fluid type

CharlieWilmot

CharlieWilmot

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone, my name is Charlie in San Diego California. Have a transmission fluid question. I recall always using type F transmission fluid, I was watching some videos on YouTube saying that’s not the correct fluid. What say you?

Also, I seem to remember the car should be level. Idling in neutral when checking fluid level, is that correct?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had read about 2 years ago. It is Type A and not available anymore and that Dexron lll is the closest to the Type A and is preferred…there must be a post here on the forum about it

The Thunderbird Restoration and Details Manual recommends Dexron. Type F will give firmer shifts but shorter lifespan, unless you change the fluid more frequently.

Agreed ! Reason is these engines get HOT quicker......

Hello everyone, my name is Charlie in San Diego California. Have a transmission fluid question. I recall always using type F transmission fluid, I was watching some videos on YouTube saying that’s not the correct fluid. What say you?

Also, I seem to remember the car should be level. Idling in neutral when checking fluid level, is that correct?

Thanks!
Yes. Car level, idling and warmed up to operating temperature, and either neutral or park for Ford products. Some others, like Mopars I believe, were neutral only.

Back