1957 transmission cooler pressure test

B

Birdmanonenine57

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In the assembly phase of a 57 Bird restoration. Before I hook up the fluid lines to the transmission cooler, I would like to test the cooler to make sure it's not leaking. I'm talking about the stock transmission cooler, which is in the bottom of the radiator. If I apply air pressure to one fitting, with a gauge on the other, shouldn't this cooler be able to hold pressure?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In the assembly phase of a 57 Bird restoration. Before I hook up the fluid lines to the transmission cooler, I would like to test the cooler to make sure it's not leaking. I'm talking about the stock transmission cooler, which is in the bottom of the radiator. If I apply air pressure to one fitting, with a gauge on the other, shouldn't this cooler be able to hold pressure?
Yes, I don’t see why not, but I don’t know what the pressure is that you should use. If just using air be careful and raise the pressure in “steps”..
Typically a manufacturer’s pressure test is run at 1.5x the rated pressure but with liquid filled test system and the run up to pressure with compressed air to reduce the creation of shrapnel if the tested system fails catastrophically.

Back