1957 Sending Unit Access

D

dadspony

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
It appears that the send unit on the gas tank is leaking when tank is filled up. I see the send unit is mounted on top of the tank. My question is, is there an access panel through the trunk to service the sending unit? Any quick response will be greatly appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On future posts your subject should be a summary of what your post is about. Nobody will know what this post is about with the title "1957 Thunderbird, 312, Fordomatic" which has been revised for you.

Summarize-Post.jpg

Yes. Just lift up the trunk carpet. The original opened that way. I have a 56 that got a new gas tank & it is different. Hope this helps.

It appears that the send unit on the gas tank is leaking when tank is filled up. I see the send unit is mounted on top of the tank. My question is, is there an access panel through the trunk to service the sending unit? Any quick response will be greatly appreciated.
sadly no there is not tank had to come down

Yes, pull up theghe trunk mat and you will see the access panel

Turns out that the problem was who ever relaced the gas tank never put a gasket on the sending unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the floor mat in the trunk of the Thunderbird is an access door that is held in place with a screw. Remove it and that give you access to the top of the tank. Use a screwdriver and a small hammer to slide the ring mechanism that holds the sending unit in place by rotating it counterclockwise. Remove the wire from the sending unit so you can pull out the sending unit if you need to do that. As I recall, there is fabric gasket so the tank does not leak when the fuel tank is over-filled with gas up into the filler tube.
Rick

Rick, it appears whoever put the new gas tank in never put the gasket under the sending unit. The gas gauge read 1/2 tank which is why I tried topping it off but to my surprise it went all over the garage floor. Thank God the propane heater was off. I have the new gasket mounted on unit and plan to put it back in tomorrow. From all this I now know the gas gauge is off so will test that tomorrow. I am told to check that, I just put a wire in the connector to the sending unit and ground the other end. If gauge is working correctly, it should send to the full mark. Thanks for the feedback.

I have a '56. On the trunk floor there is a panel with a single screw holding it down. The access is in the center of the trunk floor. You will have to remove the floor covering to get to it but on my '56 no real issues. Hope that easy for you.

Yes,, the sending unit is easily accessed through a panel almost in the center of the trunk floor pan. a Couple of pan head screws open it quickly . The R & R of the sending unit is quick and easy. However, proceed with a half of tank of gas.. A FULL tank of gas will cause an overflow of gas,,,, Not good.
Make sure that the ground is clean and tight. A very easy procedure.
Mark... Austin , Texas..... Austin Thunderbird Owner's Club

Back