1957 Power Window Adjustment

Steve Springer

Steve Springer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking for tips for adjusting power windows. Windows go up and down very slowly and often trip the breaker.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It sounds like you need to disassemble and clean, lube and rebuild your window tracks. There are several things you probably need to do. First, the mechanism is no designed to operate for almost 70 years without some maintenance. I recently did this on my 1956, and it made a world of difference. First. you need to remove the window regulator. The shop manual will give you the information on how to remove this. Once you get the regulator out, you then need to clean it and remove the old grime from it and then remove the screws that retain the gears in the regulator. Clean those and and apply fresh grease. Many will suggest white lithium. I find that this hardens with time so I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but the white lithium will last for several years if you prefer. Remove the glass from the channel and check the front and rear glass runs, replace if they are damaged or worn and then reassemble. It takes some time and patience but you can get your windows working like new.

Let me add a few things. Before you do this, purchase 6 new window rollers. You can buy the OE metal ones, I did this on my car and I won't do it again. The plastic ones are much easier to install and will last for years. The cars in the late 1950's changed to plastic and they work just fine. Also, do not tackle both sides at ones. Do one side, and once completed, then do the other side. You will gain some know how on what needs to be done by doing one side, that will make the second one less of a process.

Back