1957 power steering type

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Type A transmission fluid was originally used, but it was discontinued decades ago. Synthetic/modern 'power steering fluid' may leak out too easily.
Mercon/Dexron transmission fluid is the closest replacement, especially for the transmission. Some folks use Type F but it can be a bit too 'sticky' in the transmission.

Thanks but let me be a little more specific. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with using Synthetic Power Steering Fluid in an early Bird especially after the pump, cylinder, and control valve were rebuilt? It seems that if ever there was the good time to switch it would be under these conditions. (No cross contamination) However I would like to hear possible negatives if anyone knows of any.

Call 419-468-5182 Rodde's Restoration they are in Galion, Oh. They have been rebuilding Ford power steering systems for at least 40 years. They rebuild all my Mustang P/S cylinders. I rebuild my control valves. Personally I would use the old Type F fluid. The synthetic might be fine, but what if you do have a problem, you have just created a lot more work.

Back