1957 power steering not working

D Jones

D Jones

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Car is new to me, bought at auction, no service/repair records. No power steering when turning wheel to the right, p/s kicks in when turning to the left and wheel gets about 1/4 to 1/2 turn 'past center'. p/s fluid level looks good, I can see a couple of drops of fluid where hoses go into the p/s valve and on the Ram piston. Thoughts please

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Possibly bad or out of adjustment control valve on the center link & where the pitman arm connects.
There are service and adjustment procedures in the '57 Shop Manual. (available on eBay or sometimes Amazon)

Attachments

• PS hoses circles & arrows.jpg
    PS hoses circles & arrows.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 57 shop manual.jpg
    57 shop manual.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 10
Check the easist 1st. On the end of the control valve is cap held on by 2 screws.Remove the cap there should be a nut that holds down the spring. There shouldn't be any fluid there. If it looks tight then remove the 2 hoses on the assist cylinder making sure you mark them to get them back in the same position. Check cylinder travel and feel for resistance in both directions. It could also be that the brass bushing that slides back forth with the ball stud may be worn to the point where it jams and will not move the control valve properly or at all. If you are mechanically inclined the valve is very easy to rebuild. The brass bushing may be hard to get out. If the cylinder needs to be rebuilt I send mine to Rode's Restoration in Ohio

The power steering control valve is easy to rebuild and you do not have to take the entire assembly off the car to do it. The power steering valve body can be rebuilt by removing the center valve body section only.

Start by removing the power steering hoses from the control valve body. Next, remove the two screws from the end cap and remove the cap.

PS 1.JPG

Remove the nut, the washers, the spring and the spacer in the order they were removed.

PS 2.JPG

Remove the two bolts that secure the valve body to the ball stud housing tube and remove the valve body from the housing tube.

PS 3.JPG

Disassemble the valve body by removing the sleeve and large washer, and then push the piston out of the valve body.

PS 4.JPG

Check the holes in the piston to insure they are open and fluid can pass through them. Also, check the piston to insure a smooth surface, then lubricate the piston with WD-40 to insure free movement in the bore.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

PS 5.jpg

Possibly bad or out of adjustment control valve on the center link & where the pitman arm connects.
There are service and adjustment procedures in the '57 Shop Manual. (available on eBay or sometimes Amazon)
When you install the control valve the distance from the center of the control valve ball stud to the center of the left hand connecting rod stud or hole must be 9.5 inches.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

PS 6.png

Great info! Based on your pictures, it looks like there has already been a new or R&R valve put in mine, but i'm going to assume that the process is the same (?) and will give it a try.

1st let me say Doug did a very good job with description and pic. Reading your problem again definitely make sure of the 9 1/2" measurement. The brass sleeve inside where the ball joint travels could be an issue, then the piston in the cylinder could be the culprit.

1st let me say Doug did a very good job with description and pic. Reading your problem again definitely make sure of the 9 1/2" measurement. The brass sleeve inside where the ball joint travels could be an issue, then the piston in the cylinder could be the culprit.
Just went out to the garage and checked, the measurement is 9 1/2". Will check the other items (hopefully this weekend.)

Problem solved! Whoever last worked on the steering had attached the Ram cylinder incorrectly. 15 minute fix. Thanks for all of your input.

Back