1957 Power Steering Dipstick & Fluid Level

Jeff_Lee

Jeff_Lee

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My PS dipstick cap was missing its dipstick. I bought a replacement cap/dipstick and I would like to verify that the new dipstick is the correct length. My new dipstick measures 2.5". I've attached photos of the dipstick and top of the reservoir. FORD used many different reservoir tops, but from what I can tell from looking at reference photos, the top on mine looks correct for a '57 Thunderbird.
When looking at the dipstick fluid level at cold "F", peering through the filler hole the PS fluid level is just below the top of the PS reservoir filter . Is that about right? I'm using Ford ATF type F fluid.
Thanks, Jeff

PXL_20220306_205029129.MP.jpg
PXL_20220306_205047176.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure what t
My PS dipstick cap was missing its dipstick. I bought a replacement cap/dipstick and I would like to verify that the new dipstick is the correct length. My new dipstick measures 2.5". I've attached photos of the dipstick and top of the reservoir. FORD used many different reservoir tops, but from what I can tell from looking at reference photos, the top on mine looks correct for a '57 Thunderbird.
When looking at the dipstick fluid level at cold "F", peering through the filler hole the PS fluid level is just below the top of the PS reservoir filter . Is that about right? I'm using Ford ATF type F fluid.
Than

Not sure on the actual length of the dip stick, but I can tell you I don’t fill mine to the full mark. I fill the reservoir just enough to cover the filter as I’ve had issues where the level will change as you drive and make a freaking mess in your engine compartment.
Also, I use the recommended automatic trans fluid from the original shop manual which calls for Type A fluid.

Type "A" transmission fluid has not been available for a number of years. The replacement type transmission fluid for original Type "A" fluid is Type "F". Type "F" fluid is still available.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Yes, they used sperm whale oil as a friction modifier.

Attached is another interesting read.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Tech 101 - Automatic Transmission Fluid.pdf
    282.1 KB · Views: 8
I just use type 'F' in both the trans. & P/S. never had a problem. Only use DOT 3 in my brakes. Do not dare mix any of these fluids with newer stuff. Go with any of the newer formulations on any fully new system if you wish but do your best to prevent any cross contamination.

Also, I use the recommended automatic trans fluid from the original shop manual which calls for Type A fluid.
I understand that Type A is unobtainium. Heard it contains whale oil. FORD Type F is the replacement. Amazon has a good price for Type F ATF in the Valvoline brand, in quarts.

We got off on ATF fluid.... can somebody measure their PS dipstick for me?
Thanks, Jeff

I understand that Type A is unobtainium. Heard it contains whale oil. FORD Type F is the replacement. Amazon has a good price for Type F ATF in the Valvoline brand, in quarts.

Thanks, Jeff
Approx 2 1/5' but mine is a replacement also. I'm assuming my original is at the bottom of the reservoir. I took the replacement dipstick off the new cap and put it on the original so it still matches the patina.

I took a break to measure my ‘56 p/s cap which is original and it measures 2 1/4 “ +/- a 1/16. It hangs inside the cap like a Christmas tree ornament and my steel rule was a tad wide for the space on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
My power steering dip stick is like the one knuckle47 is describing. Like Shawnski, I fill the reservoir just until the top edge of the filter shows.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Power Steering Dip Stick - 1.jpg

Power Steering Dip Stick - 3.jpg

Power Steering Dip Fluid Level.jpg

Thanks, Jeff

so I measured mine today. It’s 2 and 7/16. It appears that the neck on my reservoir is longer than the picture you posted of yours. None the less, I filled it once and it made a heck of a mess. That’s why I don’t fill it past the filter.

Attachments

• 6660C1CF-F545-4D53-AD36-8403AE5D1989.jpeg
    6660C1CF-F545-4D53-AD36-8403AE5D1989.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 3AF5CA0B-D8CB-4AA3-8579-425EBE168362.jpeg
    3AF5CA0B-D8CB-4AA3-8579-425EBE168362.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I noticed that on one of your earlier posts. Your method should work fine but I wonder where that P/S reservoir top came from? Definitely not original. Could it possibly be from a sedan? There was a post either here or on another board where his P/S pully unit was rubbing on his fan shroud. T-Birds had a lot of parts off the sedans but with the tighter confines they made some alterations just like mounting the brake booster on the fender instead of right on the master cylinder.

Well my thought is that if the dipstick is 2 7/16” and the reservoir cap is as long as it is, wouldn’t the fluid level at full be to the base of the cap on a stock unit?

Well my thought is that if the dipstick is 2 7/16” and the reservoir cap is as long as it is, wouldn’t the fluid level at full be to the base of the cap on a stock unit?
I think if the fluid mostly covers the internal filter all should be good. As you noticed the original dip stick will be just for show and not functional.

I agree with Ward57, I don’t think the dip stick is for much more than show. Like I said before, if you fill it to the full mark, from my experience, you’ll be doing some clean up of the engine compartment.

so I measured mine today. It’s 2 and 7/16. It appears that the neck on my reservoir is longer than the picture you posted of yours. None the less, I filled it once and it made a heck of a mess. That’s why I don’t fill it past the filter.
Yours looks like the standard reservoir for a Fairlane
The thunderbird reservoir neck is lower because of the hood clearance
With that said I have seen other birds with the long neck reservoir

What is the fluid capacity of the enire system? I am going to fill a completely dry power steering system.

RE type: After reading the pdf that Doug posted, it seems that Dexron V1 is the most correct alternative...?

I think I used about 3 qts., but I had just put a new control valve on the car.
Following the valve rebuilders instructions, I filled the reservoir above the filter, had the front wheels off the floor on jack stands and started the car and let it idle. While idling I brought the fluid level above the filter again. Then I turned the wheels from stop-to-stop checking regularly for fluid level and topping as needed. The literature instructed to do that until bubbles were no longer present in the returning fluid. So, it was a filling and bleeding process.
As others have said here before, be cautious of not overfilling as it is a mess. I know because the PO did so in anticipation of his badly leaking control valve. Fluid was everywhere.
In hindsight I didn't look at the service manual, which would have been a good idea. :rolleyes:
Best Jeff

Back