1957 paint damage from my hardtop

D

David Sokol

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is it possible to remove stains in my paint from the hardtop. I have tried polishing compounds and even rubbing compound, all by hand so I don't scratch the rear deck with no luck. HELP

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I assume your paint color is light and yellowing from the top gasket gassing out has stained your back deck? If polish and a power buffer doesn’t remove it the stain might be permanent. Concours has a vinyl rear deck protector (A-6 @ $21.60) that protects the deck when putting up the soft top or hardtop.

I use 200 wet sand paper for scratches and inconsistences in the paint. You could try - WD-40 Multi Use Product, you can remove paint stains from your car without any complications and damage to the metallic paint on its body. Whether you are dealing with fresh wet paint or old and dry stains,

I use 200 wet sand paper for scratches and inconsistences in the paint. You could try - WD-40 Multi Use Product, you can remove paint stains from your car without any complications and damage to the metallic paint on its body. Whether you are dealing with fresh wet paint or old and dry stains,
Do you mean 2000 grit? Isn't 200 grit a bit aggressive?

Paint is 20 years old, high end restoration, colonial white. Have not tried wd40 but will this weekend unless anyone else has any other ideas. Thanks for the quick responses!

Yes 2000

Paint is 20 years old, high end restoration, colonial white. Have not tried wd40 but will this weekend unless anyone else has any other ideas. Thanks for the quick responses!
You also may try mineral spirits. My old top gaskets left a bunch of gum like rubber on the deck. The mineral spirits and elbow grease did the trick. Maybe Goof Off would work also.

Is it possible to remove stains in my paint from the hardtop. I have tried polishing compounds and even rubbing compound, all by hand so I don't scratch the rear deck with no luck. HELP
I have used GOOf-OFF many times to remove stains and such. It is powerful, so test a spot first.

There’s an older thread with some good info here:

(Although the title of that thread is “soft top and hardtop values,” you’ll see discussion further down the thread of the issue regarding the top leaving marks on the rear deck).

In short, (1) lots of elbow grease and the proper cleaning compounds should get the marks off; (2) once you’ve gotten the marks off, but the vinyl/plastic deck protector mentioned in the thread linked to above. Good luck!

Thanks for the older thread. I tried WD40 and bug and tar remover today - didn't budge. I'll try some denatured alcohol next. The Pure form Mitchell and King is from the UK. If the alcohol doesn't work I'll order that product. Thanks again!

I have some marks on my paint from years of it having the top on it. I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of the marks including a variety of polishes and rubbing compounds. Nothing gets rid of it, it's just too deep, by the time I polished/rubbed off enough material to get the blemish out it's likely it would look even worse due to the depth I'd have to go into the paint. You may be in the same boat.

I have some marks on my paint from years of it having the top on it. I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of the marks including a variety of polishes and rubbing compounds. Nothing gets rid of it, it's just too deep, by the time I polished/rubbed off enough material to get the blemish out it's likely it would look even worse due to the depth I'd have to go into the paint. You may be in the same boat.
Unless you are going into a Concours judging situation just write it off as normal natural wear & tear and be proud of it as you drive it and use it and not a trailer queen. Mine is the same way with little chips from introducing the hard top to the body.
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Back