1957 lower control arm bolt removal - help!

Boozeman

Boozeman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Still working on rebuilding the suspension on my '57... Got the lower control arm nuts loose and off, but I can't get the bolts out that connect the arms to the frame crossmembers. I can turn them with a wrench, butI can't get these darn bolts out no matter what I try. PB Blaster, and I've beat the snot out of them with a 3 lb. mini sledge to no avail. (although there's not a whole lot of room to get a decent swing at them). They won't budge. How have you successfully gotten these bolts out?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What I did was go to Harbor Freight and bought a air hammer. It was the only thing that worked for me. I too could turn the bolt but until I used the air hammer it never moved. When I was finished and putting the A arm back together I used a lot of anti-seize.

It's mostly rust that holding it in. Soak it with BP Blaster or similar penetrant. Kroil is a better one. Keep working it around. If you have a soft blow hammer try that on the end.

Thank you for the replies - much appreciated! Picked up an air hammer at Home Depot today. I'll give that a whirl tonight and report back.

How’d it go? I’m in the same position you were…nuts off, bolt’s spinning, no room to swing a hammer to get them out! Any help would be really appreciated.

Back