1957 gas tank leak

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
For the first time since buying the Bird I went to fill the tank. Previously I put a few gallons in but never to The point of the pump shutting off

When I pulled the car in the garage I noticed drips on the floor. Looking underneath I see the drips coming from the gas tank. Not a stream but a few drips.

Maybe the seal is old and allows the leak when full? Was thinking I would simply not top off the tank when filling.

For reference, what is the crushing range of the Birds (312) ?

Thoughts and suggestions always appreciated. Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

For the first time since buying the Bird I went to fill the tank. Previously I put a few gallons in but never to The point of the pump shutting off

When I pulled the car in the garage I noticed drips on the floor. Looking underneath I see the drips coming from the gas tank. Not a stream but a few drips.

Maybe the seal is old and allows the leak when full? Was thinking I would simply not top off the tank when filling.

if it's a pinhole you can rub bar soap on it to temporarily seal it. NOT A PERMANENT FIX. Might be time for a new tank?

I hit a rock on a dirt road and punctured the fuel tank on a car I had. I removed the fuel tank. Took it to work. Filled the tank up with water and took a gas touch and brazed the hole closed. You have to remove the air content from the tank. I believe that you can also start a car put a pipe up the exhaust and the pipe into the fuel tank. Leave it running for a few minutes before soldering or doing any repairs.

I had the same problem. It was dripping down the back of the tank. Pulled off the cover for the sending unit and fuel was all around it. I unscrewed the retainer ring and it turned out the gasket was of a square circumference and was folded over a little and was not sealing. I replaced it with a new one that is round. Reassembled and no more leak.

There is also a vent tube that can also cause leaking, located on passenger side towards the front of the rear tire. I overfilled mine and it leaked like a sieve.

I hit a rock on a dirt road and punctured the fuel tank on a car I had. I removed the fuel tank. Took it to work. Filled the tank up with water and took a gas touch and brazed the hole closed. You have to remove the air content from the tank. I believe that you can also start a car put a pipe up the exhaust and the pipe into the fuel tank. Leave it running for a few minutes before soldering or doing any repairs.
WOW! Brazing a fuel tank using the car's exhaust and still having the fuel in the tank sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would rather buy a new fuel tank from CASCO or Hill's for $269.50 before I would do that. My life is worth more than the money I would save repairing the fuel tank that way.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

WOW! Brazing a fuel tank using the car's exhaust and still having the fuel in the tank sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would rather buy a new fuel tank from CASCO or Hill's for $269.50 before I would do that. My life is worth more than the money I would save repairing the fuel tank that way.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
When you are working in the back of no where. There is no spares shop to go to. Its that or walk 156 miles on foot. Necessity is the mother of invention some times. One has to do what is required when you work in the Bush in Africa.

When you are working in the back of no where. There is no spares shop to go to. Its that or walk 156 miles on foot. Necessity is the mother of invention some times. One has to do what is required when you work in the Bush in Africa.
I understand that necessity is the mother of invention, but you have to be careful what you post on this or any forum. Some people may take this dangerous advice as an alternative method to repairing a fuel tank. I would hate to be responsible for giving out advice that may injure or kill someone. I’m surprised that the Forum Moderator didn’t comment on this. I would hate to be the moderator of a forum that gave out advice that injured or killed someone.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Caswell Plating has a gas tank sealer that is a 2 part epoxy of some sort. It puts a coating on the inside of the tank that is tough. I have used it on Model A and Model T fuel tanks with great success. When I was kid I watched a guy arc weld the bottom of a leaky1500 gallon Diesel tank. He had the fuel delivery compant top-off the tank first!

Occam's razor is the principle that, of two explanations that account for all the facts, the simpler one is more likely to be correct ...check your vent tube!

Robert mentioned that he filled the tank with water before he did the brazing. Standard practice. Working in the outback with no resources necessitates out of the box solutions. I doubt he would try the exhaust solution with ANY fuel in the tank. The object is to remove any oxygen from the tank. The fuel cannot ignite in an oxygen free environment. I guess a CO2 fire extinguisher could serve the same purpose.

Occam's razor is the principle that, of two explanations that account for all the facts, the simpler one is more likely to be correct ...check your vent tube!

Drove the car 250 miles today. When I came back I only put in 8 gallons vs probably 12 or more that would fit.

when I pulled into barn, no leakage. Guessing it was the vent tube.

I understand that necessity is the mother of invention, but you have to be careful what you post on this or any forum. Some people may take this dangerous advice as an alternative method to repairing a fuel tank. I would hate to be responsible for giving out advice that may injure or kill someone. I’m surprised that the Forum Moderator didn’t comment on this. I would hate to be the moderator of a forum that gave out advice that injured or killed someone.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
That is very true. Definitely a good point made. Appreciate your reply. Thanks Bob

Drove the car 250 miles today. When I came back I only put in 8 gallons vs probably 12 or more that would fit.

when I pulled into barn, no leakage. Guessing it was the vent tube.
If it were the vent tube I would think it would leak during fill-up. Exactly where are you seeing the leak. On the side or front?

That's when mine did leak, it had come from my local shop so I brought it right back, never saw the location but mechanic said it was the tube.

If it were the vent tube I would think it would leak during fill-up. Exactly where are you seeing the leak. On the side or front?

Has only leaked the one time when I tried to super fill the tank. ( kept adding after the first auto shutoff at pump)

Looked to be leaking back of gas tank, passenger side.

Has only leaked the one time when I tried to super fill the tank. ( kept adding after the first auto shutoff at pump)

Looked to be leaking back of gas tank, passenger side.
Yah that does sound like the tube. If it was the sender gasket the tank is designed for any leakage to drain to the front.

Mine will leak from the top gage sending unit access when filled but not enough to create a drip.

Cruising Range? 160-180, I try and refill at 160

Mine will leak from the top gage sending unit access when filled but not enough to create a drip.

Cruising Range? 160-180, I try and refill at 160
That gasket is easy to replace. The new ones are of an 'O' ring design. Just lube up the gasket before installing so it seats without binding. 15 min replacement time at minimal cost.
the range sound about right. I think it's an 18 gal tank and at 10 MPG ( yah they are gas guzzlers) . But that old school torque is something few can experience anymore.

car had been sitting for a couple years. Started fine and then stalled. It was out of gas. I put 3 gallons in and suddenly it all leaked out the bottom middle of fuel tank. No damage— is it a plug? Sending unit seal? Thanks

Back