1957 Fuel Pump replacement

• Thread starter Jay Fitzpatrick
  • Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just really loosen the two adjustment bolts holding the PS pump on the bracket. That will allow the PS pump to be pushed forward enough to get the fuel pump passed it. Photos 1 and 2 below.

What are you doing for a new or replacement fuel pump? DO NOT buy any of the current crop of new replacements. They all come from china and are Defective in the box.
If you already bought one, return it for a refund before installing it, so the seller has less reason to decline.

Then get your old pump rebuilt.

Read the info at this previous thread...
https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/1957-fuel-pump-not-pumping.15219/
20230705_094550[1].jpg20230705_095222[1].jpgfuel pump (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just really loosen the two adjustment bolts holding the PS pump on the bracket. That will allow the PS pump to be pushed forward enough to get the fuel pump passed it. Photos 1 and 2 below.

What are you doing for a new or replacement fuel pump? DO NOT buy any of the current crop of new replacements. They all come from china and are Defective in the box.
If you already bought one, return it for a refund before installing it, so the seller has less reason to decline.

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/1957-fuel-pump-not-pumping.15219/
I removed the pump instead of just loosening it and when pushed forward I had plenty of room to R&R the fuel pump. Just make sure you have the engine at TDC when re-installing so the actuating cam is as far up as possible.

Sounds like a plan but which bolts do I remove? The three I am pointing to in the three photos?

Attachments

• IMG_8188.jpg
    IMG_8188.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8189.jpg
    IMG_8189.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like a plan but which bolts do I remove? The three I am pointing to in the three photos?
Almost. The first one furthest inboard needs to be removed from the cast bracket going to the water pump. The adjusting nut on the bottom just needs to be loosened so you can take off the belt. The main obstacle is the support bracket that bolts onto the exhaust manifold.
Once it's loose from the manifold the rubber hoses will let you push it up beside the fan shroud and well out of the way. Then with the pump out of the way you can finish painting the cast bracket engine color also.

The two bolts just above the arrow in photo 2?

No That big bolt holds the cast bracket onto the water pump. First loosen the adjustment bolt in picture 1 and then you can remove the belt. Remove the bolt in picture 3 from the exhaust manifold and then the 2 bolts in picture 2.
This is assuming they are all mounted alike.
20230705_150504.jpg

Attachments

• 20230705_150548.jpg
    20230705_150548.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230705_150623.jpg
    20230705_150623.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
No,
after removing the roughly triangular support bracket bolted to the exhaust manifold... photo 1

I loosened the two adjustment bolts that hold the flat steel PS pump mounting bracket onto the casting that bolts to the water pump. Circled in photo 2.
I didn't want to remove the bolts completely and move the PS pump hoses any more than necessary, they've been around a while but don't leak, yet.

Those two loosened bolts let the PS pump twist clockwise enough to lift the fuel pump out.

Attachments

• 20230706_092837[1].jpg
    20230706_092837[1].jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230706_093142[1].jpg
    20230706_093142[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230705_095222[1].jpg
    20230705_095222[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
No,
after removing the roughly triangular support bracket bolted to the exhaust manifold... photo 1

I loosened the two adjustment bolts that hold the flat steel PS pump mounting bracket onto the casting that bolts to the water pump. Circled in photo 2.
I didn't want to remove the bolts completely and move the PS pump hoses any more than necessary, they've been around a while but don't leak, yet.

Those two loosened bolts let the PS pump twist clockwise enough to lift the fuel pump out.
That did it! Thank you. By loosening the two adjustment bolts on the mounting bracket as indicated in your photo 2, it allowed me to move the power steering pump just enough to get the fuel pump up and out.

We purchased a rebuilt Fuel pump and we are about to tackle this project. We do have a car lift and we are looking for advice on replacing the fuel pump. Ive read lots of posts about replacing FP without a lift which seems challenging. My TBird isnt running and I need to move cars around in the garage which isnt an easy task. So If with lift is easiest option.... then that is what I will do. Any tips on this will be much appreciated

Since my car has power steering, when I replaced the fuel pump I removed the power steering pump and moved it aside. When I did this I did not disconnect any of the power steering hoses from the power steering pump. By moving the power steering pump it gave me plenty of room to replace the fuel pump.

Fuel Pump Removed.JPG

Before you remove the fuel pump make sure the engine is set to the top dead center mark on the crank pulley. By doing this the eccentric cam that operates the fuel pump will be on the low side of the cam and the fuel pump will not have much pressure against the operating lever.

Timing Mark.jpg

When you install the fuel pump, make sure the fuel pump operating lever is under the eccentric cam.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Eccentric Cam.jpg

Back