1957 Export Data Plate

DownUnder
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My wife an I have just acquired a '57 with the attached additional french Data Plate. I have not been able to find any info on exports to Europe, so not sure how rare this car is.
US Data tag reads 40AAXA5D820430P - Raven Black, B&W interior, 430th car built 5 April, Delivery to FMC Export NJ, &(P) normal production. If anyone can shed some light on the 'French Connection' it would be appreciated
- Shes a D car, 3 speed with overdrive, Electric windows and seat, power brakes, but no AC.

Drew

IMG_4108a.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It sounds interesting. Is the speedometer in miles per hour of kilometers per hour?

My wife an I have just acquired a '57 with the attached additional french Data Plate. I have not been able to find any info on exports to Europe, so not sure how rare this car is.
US Data tag reads 40AAXA5D820430P - Raven Black, B&W interior, 430th car built 5 April, Delivery to FMC Export NJ, &(P) normal production. If anyone can shed some light on the 'French Connection' it would be appreciated
- Shes a D car, 3 speed with overdrive, Electric windows and seat, power brakes, but no AC.

Drew

View attachment 28350
Hi Drew, Six years ago when I was looking for my 57 I came across a white one that was being advertised in Switzerland as having been made in France. I can't remember the full text that went with the ad but it was saying something along the lines that very limited numbers of 57's (I think six) were imported by Ford France in CKD form, then assembled and sold locally. There is an entry in Wikipedia under Ford SAF which details Ford France's existence and has that while Ford sold out to Simca in 1954 they kept a 15% Shareholding until 1958.
Good luck with the new car!
Andrew

Back