1957 engine replacement / cracked block

E

efrain moreno

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello to all the members out there and Thankyou in advance for any help you could give me. I recently bought a 1957 thunderbird and it turned out that the block is cracked (312) . I did some research and found out that the 312 Y block is hard to find . I was told that I could put a ford 302 in it . Is their a kit out there that would mate the 302 to the original transmission. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't know of a lot for your application, but try Advance Adapters, they make a lot of interesting stuff. By the way, a 292 will not be that hard to find and will bolt in directly. They were used in trucks through 1964.
Where is your block cracked at? Have you considered the possibility of repair?

You should be able to find a 292 y block they were in trucks up to 1964. Have your local yard check with their locator service or check Hemings . Changing to a 302 is a lot more than just a trans adapter it’s also motor mounts and exhaust. I did a 429 transplant many moons ago in a 57 and it’s a lot of work and fabrication.

Hello to all the members out there and Thankyou in advance for any help you could give me. I recently bought a 1957 thunderbird and it turned out that the block is cracked (312) . I did some research and found out that the 312 Y block is hard to find . I was told that I could put a ford 302 in it . Is their a kit out there that would mate the 302 to the original transmission. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again
Efrain, I just joined yesterday and saw your post. Sorry for the cracked block but I do have a Y-block 312 1957 T-Bird engine for sale. It just ran the other day. It was a replacement engine in my 1956 Thunderbird. When I bought the car I also got the original1956 312, and I have chosen to rebuild the original engine and put it back into the car. Which means I have an extra 1957 312 engine that I would be willing to sell. Send me a direct message https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/conversations/add?to=milspecagent

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1957 Y-block 312 ECZ 6015 C engine for sale. It is a complete engine (long block + oil pan and rocker covers) minus water pump, fuel pump, starter, carb, distributor etc. It is a running engine that I have pulled from my 1956 Ford T-Bird because I am re-installing the rebuilt matching original 1956 engine in the car. This 1957 engine does have a rear main engine oil seal leak, which in my opinion would require attention. If interested, get back to me. Here's pics. I'm located in Beaufort, SC.

Attachments

• IMG-1010.jpg
    IMG-1010.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-1007.jpg
    IMG-1007.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-1008.jpg
    IMG-1008.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-1009.jpg
    IMG-1009.jpg