1957 differential drain plug removal

D

dadspony

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anybody know of a tool to get the drain plug out of the bottom of the differential housing so I can drain and refill with new gear oil? I have the refill hole plug out but can't even get a small tube down to bottom of casing to pump it out. Thanks for any help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On future posts your subject should summarize what your post is about so people know what your topic is about. How is anyone going to know what your post is about when you title it "1957"? Subject updated.
model-year.jpg

1957 with Fordomatic transmission.
I am wanting to drain and refill the differential. I have the refill plug out but appears to be a drain plug as well on bottom of the case. A 3/8" square drive takes out the upper plug but the bottom "plug" is larger than 1/4" and smaller than 3/8". I guess my first question is it in fact a drain plug and if so any ideas on how to get it out?
Thanks for any help.

I am wanting to drain and refill the differential. I have the refill plug out but appears to be a drain plug as well on bottom of the case. A 3/8" square drive takes out the upper plug but the bottom "plug" is larger than 1/4" and smaller than 3/8". I guess my first question is it in fact a drain plug and if so any ideas on how to get it out?
Thanks for any help.
It’s a drain plug it’s a 5/16 square if I remember correctly I took a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and milled the 4 side of the 3/8 male so it fit measure your plug with a caliper and have a local shop mill it for you or if you’re good put the adapter in a vice and carefully grind the 4 sides so it fits

It’s a drain plug it’s a 5/16 square if I remember correctly I took a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and milled the 4 side of the 3/8 male so it fit measure your plug with a caliper and have a local shop mill it for you or if you’re good put the adapter in a vice and carefully grind the 4 sides so it fits
Thank you for confirming my thought. I bought a 3/8" socket adaptor yesterday and plan on starting to grind it down today. I will caliper the plug to make sure I get the right dimensions. I will post my results. Thanks again.

Thank you for confirming my thought. I bought a 3/8" socket adaptor yesterday and plan on starting to grind it down today. I will caliper the plug to make sure I get the right dimensions. I will post my results. Thanks again.
My brother ground down one like you will do,it works great

I used a belt sander and bought some cheap socket adaptors from Harbor Freight. Put socket adaptor in vice and started grinding down 1/2" end. I ground down a little too much (.020") on the one side but nailed the other. Tried on drain plug and worked perfectly. I am guessing it was the original grease in there based on the intense black color!
Thanks for the feedback so quickly and very glad I joined this forum. Hopefully I can help someone else along the way.

Thanks for any help.
The 5/16 drive adapter can be bought at a specialty tool store (if you're lucky enough to have one nearby) or on line No need to make one unless you like that sort of thing. Also i’d worry about changing the strength of the metal by grinding down a 3/8 drive. Here’s one on eBay.

Except he’s not looking for hex drivers. Those have 6 sides. He’s looking for square (4 sided) attachment if it’s like my old Fords.
Ebay had a 3/8" drive socket adaptor with 5/16" end. Cost was $9.14 including shipping. BTW the 3/8" one I ground down was a really soft metal after grinding!!! Good thing the plug came out fairly easy!!! Hope this helps and thanks to all who helped me. Happy New Year yo'all!

Does anybody know of a tool to get the drain plug out of the bottom of the differential housing so I can drain and refill with new gear oil? I have the refill hole plug out but can't even get a small tube down to bottom of casing to pump it out. Thanks for any help.
I took an old oversized bolt and ground flats on the threaded end to fit into the plug at the bottom and then used an appropriate size wrench to remove the plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
To drain the Rear end fluid , there is a PLUG at the bottom of the differential housing with a 5/16" access plug.. That is the size to use to drain the old fluid.
Mark , 57 D Model, Austin Thunderbird Owner's club

All I every use on my '56 is a 1/2" Ratchet. Not sure if different on a '57 but should be the same.

Back