1957 351 with OD transmission

Soliver06

Soliver06

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone put a 351w with a overdrive Trans ina57 third ? If so could advise of what modification you had to make. And how you liked the performance?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Resto-mod? Are you planning on suspension upgrades? Sounds like a big project.

Resto-mod? Are you planning on suspension upgrades? Sounds like a big project.
Yes . Rack an pinion new springs shocks swaybar all new

Yes rackand pinion new spring shocks swaybar all new

Frankly owning an original classic is my bag. I’ve had others like my highly modified chopped ’37 Ford Tudor Humpback, but to tell the truth I love driving and working on this classic original. I get great pleasure in trying to keep her in original stock condition with as few modifications as possible. Wish I had PS & PB but she’s fun even if I have pump iron to stop, steer and park her ?

Frankly owning an original classic is my bag. I’ve had others like my highly modified chopped ’37 Ford Tudor Humpback, but to tell the truth I love driving and working on this classic original. I get great pleasure in trying to keep her in original stock condition with as few modifications as possible. Wish I had PS & PB but she’s fun even if I have pump iron to stop, steer and park her ?
Yes, no P/S No P/B but it's still drivable just a little more raw, But it keeps you in shape and YES they are fun to drive. I keep my very early '57 as close to original as possible. Just Found an original jack to finish up my trunk. The matting is beyond getting perfectly clean but it's a driver almost 100% to original.

Completely restored a 57 bird 35 years ago. I enjoyed it for many years before I let someone else enjoy it. I have gone the street rod route with a 28 model a with the 351w and enjoyed it. The reason I am going this route with the bird this time is my wife and I are retired and are planning on seeing a lot of this beautiful country in a beautiful car

I built a new crossmember for the engine mounts. Your biggest clearance issue is on top especially toward the front. use a low manifold mine is edlebrock rpm w/750 carb. too tight 15 plus years lots of miles &smiles aod trans w/373 rear gears It is a hoot to drive 351 w w/ stroker 393 ci DO IT

I built a new crossmember for the engine mounts. Your biggest clearance issue is on top especially toward the front. use a low manifold mine is edlebrock rpm w/750 carb. too tight 15 plus years lots of miles &smiles aod trans w/373 rear gears It is a hoot to drive 351 w w/ stroker 393 ci DO IT
Glad you have enjoyed it. I am leaving tomorrow to Alaska and will be gone to the end of month.I would love to talk to you about the engine swap. I am new to the forum and are no familiar with rules on here.

Glad you have enjoyed it. I am leaving tomorrow to Alaska and will be gone to the end of month.I would love to talk to you about the engine swap. I am new to the forum and are no familiar with rules on here.
Your trans tail shaft passes through the x frame that will lock in your height I raised the body 5/16" to clear my oversize dui dist and carb on med rise manf. If you use small dist and low rise manf. you should be ok w/o lifting body. Happy to help
343769251_150194431330685_5701584139946061145_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
no power brakes or steering you could probably use a hydroboost that is powered by the power steering pump. The clearances up front are hampered by the suspension T bird radiators are junk mine is alum. crossflow triple pass unit that works great and was very reasonably priced.

Back