1956 missing frame vin

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone run across a case where the vin number on the passenger side frame rail is missing, I can clearly see from pictures where the vin should be but I don't see any sign. I don't think it has been ground off because I see the welding splatter all around the frame seam. The information on the data plate matches the original Ford sales invoice. When we stripped the car for paint nothing said the car had been in a wreck.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are three places on the frame where the VIN number is stamped. Unfortunately, to view the other two locations the body has to be removed.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

VIN Number Locations on the Frame.JPG

The stamping is sometimes light. take some sandpaper and sand down the area where the VIN should be and you will be able to read it. I suppose it is possible that it left the factory without the number stamped, but I would think it highly unlikely.

Has anyone run across a case where the vin number on the passenger side frame rail is missing, I can clearly see from pictures where the vin should be but I don't see any sign. I don't think it has been ground off because I see the welding splatter all around the frame seam. The information on the data plate matches the original Ford sales invoice. When we stripped the car for paint nothing said the car had been in a wreck.
Take white distilled vinegar and paint the area of the vin with it let set for a half hour then reapply the vinegar do this 4 or five times then let set a few hours if it’s there you will see it. When done rinse the neutralize the the area and apply paint. In my state they verify the frame # to the ID tag

Hope this helps. Numbers on fender side of weld.

Attachments

• 20231215_084457.jpg
    20231215_084457.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
I feel a little silly. After finding a solvent for the POR 15 that I painted on the frame about 4 years ago I found the vin numbers. I used a paint remover from Jasco, left it on for about 1/2 hour and the paint came off easy. I think I'll take a picture of the vin number before replying the POR.

Back