1956 Hubcaps installation

Johnnysurf
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1956 TBird and want to ungrade with the wire wheel hubcaps. Is there an easy way to install the center cap without scratching or denting. My caps measure 10 3/16” ID. They appear to be undersized.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Added model year to subject for you.
model-year-TBF.jpg

I have a 1956 TBird and want to ungrade with the wire wheel hubcaps. Is there an easy way to install the center cap without scratching or denting. My caps measure 10 3/16” ID. They appear to be undersized.

You did not say if you are using the original caps or the reproduction caps. Also, do you have the original wheels on your car? The original wheels should have 3 bumps to hold the small caps onto the wheels. The original hub caps are a heavier than the reproduction caps now being produced. I found that if you use a rubber mallet you can put the caps on without damaging them. Put the cap on resting it on two of the three bumps. Then use your hand to push the cap towards the third bump. Once is it hand tight in this position, strike the outside edge of the cap with the mallet and it should slip over the third hump and then be attached to the wheel. You can also use the palm of your hand to strike the cap if you do not have a mallet.

The 1955 & 56 Thunderbird both had as stock 15-inch Kelsy-Hayes rims. The car sold as new had the standard full hubcap with the Ford emblem in the middle. Then they had the upgrade spoked hubcap. I have seen some (A very few Thunderbirds) with the Fairlane mini hubcap. I have not come across any documentation indicating this was an option on the Thunderbird. I have attached a picture of all three. By the way, full spoked rims were not introduced by Ford until I believe 1968. Plus they are very expensive and are a pain to keep all the spokes tight and true.
hub caps.JPG

56 spoke wheel covers keep flying off

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1962 Thunderbird was the only Thunderbird that left the factory with wire/spoke wheels; Elvis Presley owned one. The wheels leaked (probably other issues as well) and were discontinued.

By the way,radial tires can cause flexing in the original steel rims, often resulting in full wheel covers/hubcaps falling off.

The 1962 Thunderbird was the only Thunderbird that left the factory with wire/spoke wheels; Elvis Presley owned one. The wheels leaked (probably other issues as well) and were discontinued.

By the way,radial tires can cause flexing in the original steel rims, often resulting in full wheel covers/hubcaps falling off.

I had that problem on my 64. On the advice of others I glued them on with a small bead of silicone where the "fingers" go against the rim and that seemed to fix the problem of them flying off.

I've posted it before but those 'fingers' get tired and deformed. Just take some piers and bend them back out. Yah they are tougher to install bur they will stick. On my '57 the wheel weighs cause a problem of a proper fit but on my next trip to the tire store I'll have them move to the inside. Ii's not like we want to go 90MPH and have the inside and out balance perfect.

I've posted it before but those 'fingers' get tired and deformed. Just take some piers and bend them back out. Yah they are tougher to install bur they will stick. On my '57 the wheel weighs cause a problem of a proper fit but on my next trip to the tire store I'll have them move to the inside. Ii's not like we want to go 90MPH and have the inside and out balance perfect.

I had done that (bending the fingers) with my 64 and the hubcaps still would walk out of the rim over time. Once I put the silicone sealant on it stopping doing it. Of course with the silicone you have to reglue it every time you take the cap off but if things go well that's not too often.

I had done that (bending the fingers) with my 64 and the hubcaps still would walk out of the rim over time. Once I put the silicone sealant on it stopping doing it. Of course with the silicone you have to reglue it every time you take the cap off but if things go well that's not too often.
Yah radial tires will cause the rims to flex more. I just repainted my rims to match the body color and that gave the fingers more 'bite' but silicone is not a bad idea to help glue them in place and also help prevent them from walking around the rim as I can see them pressing against the valve extensions a little.

Yah radial tires will cause the rims to flex more. I just repainted my rims to match the body color and that gave the fingers more 'bite' but silicone is not a bad idea to help glue them in place and also help prevent them from walking around the rim as I can see them pressing against the valve extensions a little.

That jogged my memory, besides walking out they did what you mentioned, rotating and pressing the valve stem. I was surprised they didn't tear it off the pushed it so far over. It stopped that too.

The 1955 & 56 Thunderbird both had as stock 15-inch Kelsy-Hayes rims. The car sold as new had the standard full hubcap with the Ford emblem in the middle. Then they had the upgrade spoked hubcap. I have seen some (A very few Thunderbirds) with the Fairlane mini hubcap. I have not come across any documentation indicating this was an option on the Thunderbird. I have attached a picture of all three. By the way, full spoked rims were not introduced by Ford until I believe 1968. Plus they are very expensive and are a pain to keep all the spokes tight and true.
View attachment 11000
Isn't the one on the right simply the inner half of the middle pic? :)

I don't think so, at least from what I have read. If it was people might have a lot less trouble with those wire wheel covers.
I don't think so either. The little hub cap is different from the center of the wire wheel cover. They are notoriously complicated and frustrating. Same with the continental kit on the '56s. Thats why they were dropped in '57. Look great but a P.I.T.A. . I have read some great articles on the changes made over the 3 years of the body style due to customer complaints. Including the addition of the fender vents later on as the cockpit was too hot.

Last edited:
I have read some great articles on the changes made over the 3 years of the body style due to customer complaints. Including the addition of the fender vents later on as the cockpit was too hot.
Here's one that we all can read.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Owner's Report - 1.jpg

Owner's Report - 2.jpg

Owner's Report - 3.jpg

Owner's Report - 4.jpg

Owner's Report - 5.jpg

Owner's Report - 6.jpg

Back