1956 hard top headliner install

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm installing a new headliner in my porthole top. We've got it pretty tight but there are still a few wrinkles or puckers that we can't seem to pull out. will heat or a steamer like for wrinkles' in clothing help . I'm afraid heat will damage the material.
Also what kind of a staple gun should I use to staple it in. I've tried a house hold / office type and an Arrow style. The arrow is ok but I can't find staples short enough 1/4 0r even 3/16, and it's sometimes hard to get into spots. Like it needs a longer tip.
Thanks Jeff

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I wouldn’t use heat??? It might stretch the vinyl instead of shrinking it or yellow it🤷 Call an upholstery shop.

I had mine installed by an upholstery shop because I started it and realized it was over my head. I believe they used 1/4” staples and a pneumatic staple gun. They mentioned it took them several tries to get it wrinkle free! Staples in, staples out etc…
It was worth the $300!

Back