1956 Fuel pump on 1955

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please follow the posting instructions on your future posts. Nobody will know your what your post is about if it is titled "1955 Thunderbird'
Your title has been revised to summarize your post.

model-year.jpg

Then why is it that the part number M73063 fuel pump is for 56,57,58 Thunderbird and they say it is not compatible for 55 thunderbird. The part number RDR-4030129 is for a 55 thunderbird. Or are the two part numbers referring to the same part ? Maybe the part number was changed in 56 ? I just don't want to order the wrong part and have to send it back. Can anyone confirm that the two parts are one in the same ? The RDR-4030129 is $60 more than the M73063.

Then why is it that the part number M73063 fuel pump is for 56,57,58 Thunderbird and they say it is not compatible for 55 thunderbird. The part number RDR-4030129 is for a 55 thunderbird. Or are the two part numbers referring to the same part ? Maybe the part number was changed in 56 ? I just don't want to order the wrong part and have to send it back. Can anyone confirm that the two parts are one in the same ? The RDR-4030129 is $60 more than the M73063.
Post a link to the page/part you are looking at.

So I’ll help you make up your mind on getting a new pump or having yours rebuilt.
My original pump died and needed to be replaced. I bought one from Parts Geeks ($65) that said it was made in the USA…. It wasn’t and it lasted 6 miles before crapping out. Parts Geek was great and fully refunded my money. Next I felt I wanted to work closer to home so I spent $200 on a new pump through NAPA that also said it was built in the USA (Carter). It wasn’t either and it lasted 2 blocks. Napa got me another one and it went less than 3 miles before leaving me stranded for the 4th time! Obviously I’m pretty freaking frustrated at this point….
Though several different discussion sites I got the name of someone that rebuilds my original. At this point I’d paid what it it took to get my Bird back on the road.
I will tell you this much, my original pump inlet / outlet was different than all the other pumps I had bought and returned. Not sure why, but it really wasn’t a big deal to swamp the lines.
I ended up going through:

Arthur Gould Rebuilders
789 Wachusett St
Holden MA 01520
United States
(508) 210-0891

It cost me shipping both ways which was very reasonable, and $75 for my original pump to be NEW again. Not one issue in aver a year of service.
I did install an electric back-up pump from CASCO which was great when the car sits for 3 days and as the fuel siphons back. I tried the anti-siphon valve and it just starved the motor.
FYI, the rebuilt pump get completely glass beaded and all the internal valves and diaphragms are new. Then they bench test it before it gets shipped back.

Yup, rebuild is the way to go. Not a bad price by the way. I don't mind the extra cranking after sitting. Just lubes up everything before the stress of ignition.

Went through this myself, and I used to own an auto parts store! My solution was to take the new diaphragm from one junk new pump and install it in my old pump. I started carrying a kit with an electric pump and enough stuff to rig it up to get me home in an emergency.
As time went by that home rebuilt pump failed me, The solution to that was to eliminate the vacuum pump innards, which were interfering with the fuel pump operation. I kept all the vacuum lines attached for appearance sake, and switched to an electric wiper motor, no issues since then.

If that is what it looks like, you just won the lottery. A picture of the top would be invaluable.

I was the only one bidding on it Ward, It even has the aluminum tag with the FO MO CO on it ! got it for 130.00 !!!

Thanks for sharing this. I was lead to believe that the original pump was an AC, which I now know is not correct.

Depending on the age of that pump, I would have it rebuilt before using it. The materials in the early pumps were not compatible with alcohol fuels used today. The original pumps and the fuel strainer were both AC branded. There is a different in factory assembled parts and service parts. this is especially true of fasteners. the parts book part lists standard part numbers for the fasteners which are often different than the ones used on the assembly line.

Back