1956 electric problems

D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am restoring a 56 T-bird and seem to have a number of problems the worst being the ignition system.
My battery is in great shape, but when I turn the key absolutely nothing. Incidentally, today when trying to
start the car, the key insert came apart and the copper metal insert came completely out.
Now, I can get the radio to work etc. but unable to start the car. I will be ordering a new starter key unit, but
before I go much further I could certainly use some help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My first guess, assuming things are wired correctly, would be a bad solenoid.

Other members more knowledgable please chime in.

I am restoring a 56 T-bird and seem to have a number of problems the worst being the ignition system.
My battery is in great shape, but when I turn the key absolutely nothing. Incidentally, today when trying to
start the car, the key insert came apart and the copper metal insert came completely out.
Now, I can get the radio to work etc. but unable to start the car. I will be ordering a new starter key unit, but
before I go much further I could certainly use some help.
I would look at the starter solenoid and the connections to the starter if you get power every other place, do the lights work?

You might also check your grounds as well as solenoid and starter connections. Are you getting power to the solenoid when the key is in the on position? Are you getting power when the key is in start position, this is easiest with two people. Do you have a fordomatic trans mission? What position is the shifter indication in? These are just a few items to check. I am assuming you have a shop manual as that is a valuable tool in chasing down gremlins.

Some good points. People not familiar with these cars don't know the safety switch only allows them to start in neutral. I forgot many don't know this.

Some good points. People not familiar with these cars don't know the safety switch only allows them to start in neutral. I forgot many don't know this.
Dilanni, in a Baby Bird with an automatic transmission the neutral safety switch is attached to the underside of the shifter.

When the car is being serviced, the 'start' function of the ignition switched can be bypassed with a jumper wire or remote start switch connected to the "Battery" and "S" terminals of the solenoid.
Danger: the car will move if the transmission is in gear.

Attachments

• shifter nss, under w arrow.jpg
    shifter nss, under w arrow.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 14
  • remote start switch, arrows.jpg
    remote start switch, arrows.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Love the picture with the two wires. Where exactly are the other ends of the two wires connected ... ideally a picture.
Thank You

Love the picture with the two wires. Where exactly are the other ends of the two wires connected ... ideally a picture.
Thank You
Looks like a remote starter switch connection. Usually just a push button on the other end.

Looks like a remote starter switch connection. Usually just a push button on the other end.
Does the key need to be turned to the right start position and/or the gear shift placed in the start position??

Does the key need to be turned to the right start position and/or the gear shift placed in the start position??
Key in run position if you want to start it and in neutral. It's usually used to bump the engine over to get it to TDC with the key off and in park if an automatic to adjust the points or do a valve adjustment.

Thank You
Here's a photo of it, about the size of a large screwdriver handle and you squeeze it. Yes, the push button style is more common.
If you wanted the engine to start you'd put the ignition key switch in the On/run position. Gearshift in Neutral or Park. It's also possible to bypass the ignition key with a jumper wire so you can stay under the hood and don't have take your eyes off things while reaching in the window for the key switch.
... It's usually used to bump the engine over to get it to TDC with the key off and in park if an automatic to adjust the points or do a valve adjustment.
"... bump the engine over... with the key off..." If you look closely at my 2nd photo in comment #7 you'll see the letter "I" (ignition) wire on the starter solenoid is disconnected. This was to prevent the engine from starting. I was checking the fuel pump output at the time and didn't want the ignition on at all. In the 1st photo below you can see that wire has been reconnected. (yes it's red instead of brown)

Attachments

• 20230730_165627[1].jpg
    20230730_165627[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 12v Ignition wiring diagram c2.jpg
    12v Ignition wiring diagram c2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 8
  • '56 '57 Bird starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram c.jpg
    '56 '57 Bird starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram c.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
Back