1956 color of cork on air filter base

Gail 56 bird

Gail 56 bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What color should the cork band on front of air cleaner base be, argent silver or cork?
Thank you,
Chuck

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Stock is the cork color, but I never liked that and painted mine black.

What color should the cork band on front of air cleaner base be, argent silver or cork?
Thank you,
Chuck
Argent is Ford's name for low gloss aluminum color paint. The air cleaner base along with the cork seal were painted argent. If the air cleaner lid was non chrome, it was also painted argent.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Air Cleaner 1.jpg
Air Cleaner 2.jpg

I disagree - the cork is supposed to be argent. Authenticity judging specs says argent
Really? Everything I've seen is natural cork. I guess there are none of the original owners around who could verify. I'm then going to assume the cork was installed before painting. But the marketing team would deny it as the paint would crack and peal within months. Plus the natural cork would help draw your attention to the chrome air cleaner cover.
From a marketing standpoint more colors meant looking more like art. Red block, fancy valve covers, Black relays & associated electrical parts.
I just read the above post. Fascinating

I painted my cleaner base with rostellum aluminum. Looks great.
one of my projects this spring is to spruce up the engine compartment and painting the P/S pump reservoir. what to use to clean it first ? Mineral spirits or alcohol, I have both.

Mine is argent.

Really? Everything I've seen is natural cork. I guess there are none of the original owners around who could verify. I'm then going to assume the cork was installed before painting. But the marketing team would deny it as the paint would crack and peal within months. Plus the natural cork would help draw your attention to the chrome air cleaner cover.
From a marketing standpoint more colors meant looking more like art. Red block, fancy valve covers, Black relays & associated electrical parts.

one of my projects this spring is to spruce up the engine compartment and painting the P/S pump reservoir. what to use to clean it first ? Mineral spirits or alcohol, I have both.
When I repainted the lower part of the air cleaner, I painted everything, including the cork, according to the guidelines. Did this 10 years ago. No peeling or other problems with the paint on the cork.

This has been interesting. I used the Rustoleum aluminum on my cleaner base but didn't paint the cork as I didn't know they came that way. It looks almost like argent and it's mostly hidden so no problem.
I want to paint my P/S pump reservoir but I'll use the argent. What is the best solvent to clean it first? I have denatured alcohol and mineral spirits and a couple of cans of BraKleen also.. I'm going to do it on the car as I touch up the rest under the hood.

This has been interesting. I used the Rustoleum aluminum on my cleaner base but didn't paint the cork as I didn't know they came that way. It looks almost like argent and it's mostly hidden so no problem.
I want to paint my P/S pump reservoir but I'll use the argent. What is the best solvent to clean it first? I have denatured alcohol and mineral spirits and a couple of cans of BraKleen also.. I'm going to do it on the car as I touch up the rest under the hood.
BraKleen and mineral spirits may take off the old paint . Not sure about denatured alcohol. For items I don't want to remove the old paint I use a product like Prep Sol.

I used Prep Sol before priming and painting. I removed the reservoir and painted it argent and painted the pump assembly a gloss black. Since the reservoir was removed it was also a good time to replace the power steering filter.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

000_6157.JPG
100_6616 (4).JPG

BraKleen and mineral spirits may take off the old paint . Not sure about denatured alcohol. For items I don't want to remove the old paint I use a product like Prep Sol.
I don't want to remove the old paint just get it clean from the P/S fluid so the paint will stick.

I don't want to remove the old paint just get it clean from the P/S fluid so the paint will stick.
Another cleaner I like is Super Clean (purple cleaner). Works very good on grease and oil. If I'm going to paint it afterward, I use soap and water just to make sure the Super Clean is not a problem with paint.

The cork should be painted argent (silver). I know it seems odd to paint the cork but if you see pics of originals, they are painted. I think the reason we see so many natural cork is because the reproduction replacements are not painted when we buy them - we need to paint them (before installation).

This is how I painted the air cleaner on my 1955 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird

IMG-6782.jpg

IMG-6783.jpg

IMG-6784.jpg

Mine is painted Argent Silver, This could be in conjunction to the "Chrome Dress up Kit Package "that blends with the valve covers, the Oil filler cap, and the silver oil dipstick handle.pic59.jpg

Mineral spirits will not take off the paint if it is well adhered. Alcohol is a possibility, and has very mild solvent properties. I use it for detail cleaning, and it won't hurt the paint. Brake cleaner is definitely a "hot" solvent, and will remove the paint, or at least soften it, as will Acetone. Were it me, I would definitely strip the tank before painting it. No sense in taking every thing apart, then doing a half way job!

Mineral spirits will not take off the paint if it is well adhered. Alcohol is a possibility, and has very mild solvent properties. I use it for detail cleaning, and it won't hurt the paint. Brake cleaner is definitely a "hot" solvent, and will remove the paint, or at least soften it, as will Acetone. Were it me, I would definitely strip the tank before painting it. No sense in taking every thing apart, then doing a half way job!
I don't plan on taking it apart. If 'If it ain't broke don't fix it is the way I go. It's a driver and everything works. Just want to dress it up for local shows. The cork on the air cleaner I will leave natural and I like the contrast. Just stuffed it in with no staples and no issues.

Really indeed!
My first car of my own was a 1956 T-Bird, purchased in 1960, the year I graduated. The seal at the forward half of the air cleaner was definitely natural appearing cork. I was amused at the time that it was attached with staples! Later in life, I found that stapling soft parts to the auto sheet metal was a common practice.

I don't plan on taking it apart. If 'If it ain't broke don't fix it is the way I go. It's a driver and everything works. Just want to dress it up for local shows. The cork on the air cleaner I will leave natural and I like the contrast. Just stuffed it in with no staples and no issues.
Ward,

You might not like taking things apart, but when was the last time the filter was replaced in your power steering reservoir?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back